Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Skid Plate = Muffler?

It's a good idea to check in on the elderly. I make it a point to do it during daylight saving time along with changing batteries in the smoke detectors.

Ok. THATS funny ^^^^

Yeah, like maybe once ! Then it will be crushed and look like crap so really the answer is no. These bikes are o.k. for hard pack but otherwise too heavy just like all the other so called adventure bikes. However they do handle really well on the roads.

After removing and reattaching the muffler 4-5 times now to fix the kickstand mounting bolts, I have discovered just how unsuited it is for skid plate duty. My rubber mallet can dent the edges fairly easily, and I have no doubt that a rock or tree stump would easily dent it from below. If I planned on riding out in the woods any time soon, I would definitely want to add a skid plate, if not an entirely new muffler as well.

The underslung muffler is a really interesting design. It helps centralize and lower the center of gravity while also complying with the noise and emissions rules all manufacturers deal with. BUT in the aftermarket, there seem to be a lot of interesting options that are smaller, lighter, and much less cumbersome to remove, if needed. I'm wondering if there are any that would allow a skid plate to be fitted AND increase the clearance in doing so.

Lets try this again.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Dean Adams and others have offered skid plates for sale. While the stock muffler is designed to be a robust jacking point for the bike and it probably OK to take an occasional "rub" , remember its only held to the bike by the 3 thin straps. Even if you dont pierce the casing of the muffler, if you start to break the straps you could be in for a world of hurt, as it could cause the header (unavailable) to break over time.
    https://deanadamsdesigns.com/cart.ph...&product_id=21

Looks like a solid product, but I was wondering if there was perhaps a muffler/skid combo that would actually increase ground clearance.

Sure there is! Your options are to pick any aftermarket muffler you like and make a skid plate that fits it.

Or,

Not have one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123