Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uly Italy to Romania and back July 2022

The Transalpina is another Romanian jewel; it's also the highest point in Romania at around 7000'. There are lots of good roads to get there; we headed south out of Sibiu to Brezoi and took highway 7A along a river. Typically this road can have lots of tourist traffic but on the day we traveled it, we had it all to ourselves. We stopped at a dam for lunch.

We each had a bowl of chicken soup; with a beer and a coke, the tab was about $7usd equivalent.

The pig was starting to more like an authentic GS with some mud on the tires and lower bodywork.

The top of the Transalpina was quite busy with not much good parking. I stopped long enough to leave Fritz (upper right, 5th sticker down). Ride on my friend!

Transalpina scenery was also barren but this is big ski area and there was more development compared to the Transfagarasan.

Since it looked like rain, we got into our rain gear which meant it didn't rain.

Nice area.

It sure looked like it was going to rain but all we got were some light sprinkles.

A mountain village in the distance.

More Blue Ridge Mountain vibes.

Returning back to the Moto Camp, Doru asked what our dinner plans were; we planned to go back to the convenience store. He mentioned that there was a "restaurant" down the street. It's run by the family as a weekend hobby and is traditional Romanian food (from this area)...they even had a curated wine list! The name of their place is: La Poarta Motului

https://g.page/LaPoartaMotului?share

This wine translates to "1000 faces".

It was an excellent wine and at about $20, it's easily comparable to any of the strong Italian wines. I opted to keep things simple with a grilled sausage that the family makes with grilled taters (they also grow) and pickled vegetables (out of their garden).

Interesting dining room; the rocks behind the wood are salt crystals.

I'm not a big dessert guy, but they made their own sweet pancakes, excellent.

Prices are in Lei. Current exchange rate: 50 lei = 10 usd

The next day was a rest day; I had ridden 9 straight days and took a long nap. Dinner was back at the family place above; this time I had Mici (typical sausage from Angus beef and pork with spices).

Dessert was the homeade cake with sour cherry sauce, excellent!

The Patriarch stopped by with his local sweet licquor; about 80 proof, it was smooth but potent.

The next day we departed Doru and the Moto Camp, bound for Hungary.
    Last edited by dolomoto; 12-24-2022 at 09:59 AM.

The previous riding day, I had neglected to fill up and mostly forgot about it until my low fuel light came on. We stopped at the very next fuel station...217 miles...wow!

I don't like cutting it this close. Supposedly bad for the fuel pump also as it relies on the fuel for cooling.

On the way out, west thru Romania, we stopped at Corvin's Castle.

https://historiceuropeancastles.com/...le-in-romania/

The ticket office was on an extended break and we didn't have time to wait around, so we made for a nearby lunch stop. I'll definitely try to get back this way to see more of the area.

Ugh, summer traffic looks the same everywhere.

In most of Europe, the highways have some type of toll (a notable exception is Germany, the autobahn is toll free...for now). In Italy, we pay at toll booths (I use a transponder) but in other countries (ex. Austria, Slovenia, Hungary, Switzerland), you must purchase a "vignette"...basically a sticker that proves you paid the toll to use the highway. The vignettes are usually good for a few days to a few months. I usually buy my vignettes online and in advance to avoid having to stop and buy one (the vignette is usually tied to your license plate). Joe ignored my advice and waited in line to get a vignette.

Unfortunately, after Joe signed the receipt (verifying the license plate was correct), I noticed the country was wrong so he had to buy another one...aargh!

Moving on, we made our overnight stop in Szeged home of the famous Paprika. As usual, I made sure there was good beer nearby.

Joe can be a picky eater but his wife says when he and I are on a trip, he eats alot more and much better. 82 years young ain't too bad.

Not wanting to repeat the previous mis-planned fuel stop, we stopped for fuel before my low fuel light went on. Unfortunately, after waiting in line for 10 minutes, I was told I was at a pump for use only by Hungary citizens (less taxes). So, I had to wait in whole 'nother line...again.

This is the official notice telling me that I was dumb.

We pressed onward westbound to Slovenia!
    Last edited by dolomoto; 12-24-2022 at 10:01 AM.

Just before leaving Hungary, I made a pit stop for some Unicum Reserve. It's an Amaro and widely available around the world, what's a bit harder to find is the Reserve...score!

We made our way back to Maria's in northern Slovenia. This nice C14 was parked there..I've had two C14's (08, 10)...nice ride and I kind of miss that model. It's a whole lot damn different than a Buell!

Dinner was nice with some Slovenia wine.

Joe told me at dinner that his fun meter was pegged and he was riding directly home the next day (I had planned 2 days of riding in the area).

The next morning, Joe beat feet westbound home to Italy. I made my way to the squiggliest little backroads I could find and was rewarded with some fantastic scenery.

Next: more Slovenia/Austria riding

The riding around the Slovenia/Austria border is superb. Lots of nice little backroads and light traffic, even in the middle of summer. Nice views around nearly every corner.

I stopped to look at this hiking guide with a nice story about a lost sheepherder and the hiking trails that memorialize him.

I found a nice dead end backroad that entered a provincial park. Initial views were stunning.

As I got further down the road, there were lots of hikers and most of the good views would require a fair amount of hiking...not this trip, lol. So I turned around and headed out. Nice view in both directions.

I found a quiet spot for a nature break.

Continuing the meander, I found a nice sign...signs like this usually mean good riding ahead!

Oh boy, don't crash. lol.

GPS says "nice road".

Even the fuel stop had a nice view.

Back at Maria's, I had my last Slovenian dinner for awhile. She didn't disappoint!

The next day, it was home the long way....

Holy heck. Joe is such a rockstar, and you know how to moto travel perfectly. Bring on the pics!

The last day of the trip, I decided to take the long way home over the highest pass in Slovenia and then over a minor pass into Italy. I got some company in Slovenia:

Then it was onto Vrsic Pass where I left Fritz.

This mountain pass was built by Russian POWs, some died. There are some of the original road left; a more foolhardy rider would've ridden thru this tunnel (tire tracks indicated it had been done recently).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vr%C5%A1i%C4%8D_Pass

As I made it down the south ramp, I caught up to some stopped traffic. there was no good place to pull off for a pic but two buses met on a hairpin and neither could really back up...so they were stuck. It looks like it would take some coordination to get the dozens of cars backed up enough to make room for one of the buses to pass (the road was quite narrow). Too bad for them!

Then it was onto Passo Raibl into Italy. It was a nice valley with some good water features.

An artsy fartsy Buell photo.

This trip was over. I usually take one long trip per year and this was a stunner.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123