Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Pump Updates

Fuel Pump Updates

The XB series fuel pumps now seem to be failing at alarming rates. Causes seem to be ethanol blended fuels...lack of usage...improper storage....low voltage supply putting undo strain on the electric motors. I have exhausted the complete factory NOS supply of new pumps and sold out of same, so proper rebuilds now seem to be the only solution to bringing these pumps back to life. They are tedious and first time vertical learning curve to rebuild, but not difficult. A proper rebuild with correct parts not only brings back reliability but enhances throttle response and reduced start-to-crank times. It makes no difference to me what you purchase or where, but there is some garbage floating around online that I would avoid.
    Dave at Rev-Mo in Daytona Beach is a very good guy...board member...and has quality products from what I've been told. Chaz Aagaard at Aagaard Foundry in Janesville, WI also a great guy with superb parts and very nice kits. Both these individuals of highest integrity and doing their parts to keep these Buells running. I'm not sure what they are offering these days but you can deal with both of them with the utmost in confidence.
    Having said that, a complete correct XB pump rebuild kit with CORRECT factory components to include proper regulator and OEM electric pump motor should look as below. Ebay Chrysler mini-van sub parts will not work. I just shipped one of these complete kits to Cody so thought I would post up exactly what they look like...contents...pricing...shipping. Shop around online for perhaps better pricing but use caution in what you're buying. This should be a readily accessible thread on here considering the failure rate now of these assemblies.

BUELL XB FUEL PUMP COMPLETE REBUILD KIT CONTENTS
    FACTORY DUPLICATE ELECTRIC MOTOR
    FUEL LEVEL SENSOR
    HIGH PRESSURE FILTER
    HIGH PRESSURE FILTER BUSHINGS---QTY 2
    SUCTION INTAKE STRAINER
    CORRECT 316 SERIES REGULATOR WITH BOTH SEALS INSTALLED
    HOUSING SEALING O-RING----QTY 2
    DRAIN PLUG O-RING
    FUEL ATTACHMENT FITTING O-RING---QTY 2
    HIGH PRESSURE PUMP-TO-REGULATOR SUPPLY LINE
    REGULATOR BLEED OFF SUPPLY LINE
    OETIKER CLAMPS---QTY 2

BOARD MEMBER COST FULL KIT AS ABOVE IS $289 AND A FEW BUCKS SHIPPING

Do these kits work for the 1125CR?

You may get more views if you move the post in the XB section

Barrett, thanks for this. I copied and saved it for future reference. Rebuilt mine about 6 years ago with help from forum members. As you said, tedious but not difficult. As I recall, getting to and removing the fuel pump was the worst part.

Yes Sir my pleasure. R&R very straight-forward. I remove lower cowling...muffler....tensioner...loosen rear axle precisely 21 turns. Then raise entire bike on dedicated floor lift to do the pump. Swing-arm removal NOT required. Just lowered. Most will break the plastic retention ring that holds the regulator to the regulator/filter housing. Working on reproducing these so they will be available in near future. Entire pump must be scrapped if this ring breaks. And they almost always do.

We all appreciate you putting in the time to make up this kits for us John. Received mine in the mail today. Just have to find time to tackle the project now.

My pleasure Cody and thanks for the kind words. Check received. Always enjoy hearing from you.

Hi Barrett,

I received your Xmas/Birthday card in the mail the other day. Looks like USPS took their sweet time delivering it.

Thank you so much and I do appreciate the flattering comments (yes, I have been working out, BTW). We appreciate all you do for us.

your pal,
    34:19

PS. CoOter is still a j3rk

Hi John - Been awhile since I've been on but always enjoy your Posts, Comments and Knowledge!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast