Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TPS reset makes no difference

Plugs are in, idles much better. no popping or dropping off. Much less backfire on run down, but still a little crackle just to say HI!

Spoke too soon, went for a ride and symptoms reappeared. Checked intakes seal again (with ether) to be sure beyond a doubt. Pressure tested the fuel pump ...... oh dear. It could build pressure but not keep it up......sounds familiar.
    I removed the pump......it's fokn trash!!! Photos to come. If I could I would pass the address of the guy who did this on as he needs bashing. The engineer in me wants him banned for life from touching tools. The Neanderthal in me wants to club him daily for the rest of his life.

Rebuilt it using a Kit from John tonight. Fitted it, put some fuel in, hooked it up turned the key and silence.......I was shocked, but in a good way......the previous pump screeched like a banshee and in comparison the hiss the new pump makes now is blissful silence. It started instantly, idled for a second then switched it off cos Neighbours at 9:30pm.
    test ride tomorrow.

The 'thing' I took out that resembled a regulator was stamped with a Chrysler logo? and "Ethanol Compatible"
    The filter was black and looked like it had been modified to fit, well, broken the spine of it to make it fit.
    The hose clamps were bolt type with 10mm heads and the threads were way to long FFS and it was obvious when taking it out that there had been a fight getting it in with damage to the seal seat in the frame.
    The base plate has been hammered on one edge and one bolt hole was so damaged it was gripping the bolt and causing it to bind ALL THE WAY OUT> same bolt is unsure if it wants to be an Allen head or Torx type, its been molested by both. Let just call it 'damaged goods'.
    The holder for the pump had been damaged by the frame as it was hammered in, leaving a big gark and a aluminium spike/splinter that drew blood upon removal, which by the way, when your hands are covered in fuel can sting quite alot.
    I realise now what the marks are on the swing arm and how they got there. They had puzzled me since...forever....
    The Damaged low fuel sender...like it looks like its been crushed in a pair of side cutters...thats beyond me, can't comprehend how, or why the fk he did that, or that it still worked!!
    I disconnected the connecter for the low fuel sender and it fell off the wire.
    The yellow plastic shavings I found in alarming amounts, on the filter and in the frame and a couple of unlucky bugs.
    I left the garage at one point, absolutely fuming, I had to get away from it before I lost my ****. Beer helped!
    The stupid are getting stupider.

'I have a buddy that can fix it'.

Photo's of the old pump. Note the hose clamps, damage to the pump/ filter holder caused by forcing it into the frame during fitment, the filter has been bent to the point the stiffeners were broken or I suspect cut with side cutters so it would fit. My FAVORITE tho is the crushed low fuel sender......I mean REALLY!? Cheap nasty parts bought off ebay? I suspect that is the case.
    20230123_185953.jpg
    20230123_190008.jpg
    20230123_190003.jpg

The pump came out of a 2004 XB12s. I bought a replacement pump some time ago for a 2003 XB9r.

The joys or working on Buell's.
    The 12S in this thread seemed to develop worsening problems the more I fixed things. It started easier with new plugs, idled smoother with a new fuel pump, but as soon as I went for another test ride the damn thing started missing and back firing thru the intake again, then wouldn't idle at all, had to keep it running on the throttle. It's possible this whole time the CPS has been failing.

I have one day till I am going away to a Bike Rally and my bike is is a non starter. Parts will not get here before I leave......what do I do?

Rolling over and giving up is not an option. I ain't no Meow.

Out back in the back room, hidden from society is the first Buell I ever owned. A 2003 Japanese Model XB9R, with 20k on it, still new looking......but I have scavenged it for bits and pieces to keep the 12S alive. What do I do....?

I started at 8am this morning, took the day off work, removed every thing from the 12S that I 'borrowed' from the 9R over 3 years.
    Exhaust bits, clutch cable/ lever and bits, oil cooler, fuse's, relays, Belt idler, numerous bolts, shifter, foot pegs, battery....
    Re assembled the 9R with no problems, everything fit as it should with undamaged fastener's and was comparatively a joy to work on.
    It started on the first touch of the button, and settled into a nice lumpy cold start idle, just as it always did. Went for a test ride and it coughed once, can't blame it after 3 years of storage. Its now 1:25pm and its soaking ready for its wash. I'm happy to have it, and to be still going to the rally....Woodstock 2023.

The 12S on the other hand is hanging from the rafters by a rope with its bits all over the floor, I love that bike damn it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nade View Post
    Photo's of the old pump. Note the hose clamps, damage to the pump/ filter holder caused by forcing it into the frame during fitment, the filter has been bent to the point the stiffeners were broken or I suspect cut with side cutters so it would fit. My FAVORITE tho is the crushed low fuel sender......I mean REALLY!? Cheap nasty parts bought off ebay? I suspect that is the case.
    20230123_185953.jpg
    20230123_190008.jpg
    20230123_190003.jpg
    Looks about like mine did when I replaced all of it. I do not mean it looked like that when I put it back in, I mean it looked about like that when I pulled it out...

My first time rebuilding a Buell fuel pump. I can only hope the next one won't be like that.

So now that I have re built the XB9 the 12S is going to be pushed to one side for a month or 2 until a couple of other jobs are complete and I can have my workshop back to myself. Then there are plans of stripping it and re painting it, re-place wheel bearings etc and getting it running properly. I love that bike, I don't care about the cost, its a love affair.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12