Thread: S1 suspension

S1 suspension

Recently purchased an S1 that has been sitting for a long time. I am looking for a shock and spring for a 1996 S1 Lightning. The shock is on the bike, but the spring and pre load nut are missing. They wanted a rigid for some reason. Am new to this site. Not quite sure how it works yet so my reply may tardy. Any help will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Drag on View Post
    Recently purchased an S1 that has been sitting for a long time. I am looking for a shock and spring for a 1996 S1 Lightning. The shock is on the bike, but the spring and pre load nut are missing. They wanted a rigid for some reason. Am new to this site. Not quite sure how it works yet so my reply may tardy. Any help will be appreciated.

https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/websh...?mc=1&aid=4323

Make sure your engine case isnt cracked at the front mount.

Sir: If the entire spring and retention adjustment collar are missing, I would not trust the rest of the shock assembly for a minute. They are very expensive to have professionally rebuilt. OEM part # is K0431.9 for entire new shock assembly. Parts computer says it fits all S1 models thru 2000. Original list is $332.90 and believe it or not, a few still available in dealer system. Highly recommend new.
    Additionally, all the S1 shock mounting brackets were part of dealer-wide recall. Check yours for cracking and elongated mounting holes.

Bear in mind, there were 2 different lengths of shocks used on the tube frame bikes. 16.5" and 14.7". A 96 S1 likely came with the 16.5" WP unit.
    The early bikes until about 99-2000 were shipped with the longer shock and the later years with the shorter one. You can use the shorter shock on an early bike, but you will need to replace the front mount with the later version (like Barrett mentioned)

Since someone decided to run the bike rigid, double check that the front mounting point at the case is not cracked. That part of the motor was never designed to absorb impacts from rear suspension, but at least with a shock in place that would soften the blow.

Also like Barrett said, all of these shocks had recalls on them at one time or another.

432638.jpg