Thread: 2003 XB9R running TERRIBLE please help!

Threaded View

2003 XB9R running TERRIBLE please help!

2003 xb9r 30k miles. Bought it as a project. Will start and idle for a short time before stalking out. You can rev it and keep it running but it runs like absolute crap spitting popping backfiring etc. I replaced the fuel pump assembly from the get go knowing it would be needed at some point anyways. 50psi with switch on and will hold right at 49-50 while running. TPS has been reset countless times, a known good ECU has been tested with, relays and fuses all checked. OEM plugs, wires and reluctantly a coil have been replaced after I tested my original coil with my DMM on the wrong setting. After getting desperate I noticed that unplugging the engine temp sensor allowed the engine to continue idling great and made the bike rideable but not great. As any normal person would do I ordered a new temp sensor and after weeks of waiting for it I got it in annnnd it ran like it crap again. I checked ignition timing and found the cam sensor to be what I thought was burnt. I replaced it and timed the bike but it made zero difference in runability. The bike doesn’t throw any codes unless I unplug a sensor while it’s running. When I original got the bike AFV’s were 108 so nothing abnormal there. The intake seals aren’t leaking. What should I look at next? Any ideas at all? I’m desperate at this point and just about ready to boot the project and cut my losses.

Edit this is my 7th XB. I was on bad web for ages but lost my log in and it appears there’s no mods approving memberships anymore there so I can’t sign back up. I’ve scoured the Facebook groups with zero luck.
    Last edited by Sagostino; 01-18-2023 at 08:26 PM.