Thread: Race Exhaust won't mount Chin Fairing 09 XB12

Race Exhaust won't mount Chin Fairing 09 XB12

I have a race exhaust muffler I'm trying to mount on my 09 XB12Ss. It originally came off an 03 Firebolt. It seems to mount fine, but the chin fairing won't mount properly. The mounts are clearly different on the right hand side. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a difference in years for this exhaust? I was under the impression not.

I hand tighten the 2 front bolts on that lower fairing first. It really helps me to line up the others. Yes, they are asymmetrical side/side.

As I understand it, there was a slight revision to the Race muffler, but it had to do with the position of the outlets, not the fit of the chin fairing.

You may want to post a pic of what is going on. Since the chin fairing is flexible and only mounts only to the muffler you may need to flex the fairing to get it to fit.

I'll try to get a photo installed this weekend.

The race muffler HAS NOT been modified.

The XB9 fairing bolts up like a dream. The XB12 fairing does not. Mounted on the bike and looking at it on the floor side by side you can tell the race muffler right side fairing mount is not quite the same.

I know the muffler is after 2003 production because the tips clear the idler just fine.

If all else fails I will likely modify the bracket to work so it alleviates what will be high stress on the fairing.

The factory issued "race muffler" is designed to fit all years and models of XB's.
    The lower cowling or "chin fairing" as you're describing it is designed to fit all years and models XB's. It has 2 mounting points on left...2 in front....3 on right side. They cannot be modified. If the pair of right side muffler brackets do NOT line up with the 3 cowling mounts on same side then the muffler has somehow been modified.

Posting up a few simple pics of the brackets...the cowling...the misalignment...will allow me to ID the problem.

So as confirmed prior, the muffler had not been modified. Obvious factory welds, and my XB9R lower cowling fit perfect.

What I finally found was when the two front bolts were inserted, my misalignment on the right side began.

I compared the cowlings. I found my XB9R (2003) to be made slightly different in the center from my XB12Ss (2009). Hopefully the photo attaches. So I basically just oblonged the cowling holes a bit with my die grinder and all is well now.

Thanks for the input guys. Nice to see active people on the forum still.

20230211_165406.jpg