Thread: Another muffler post

Another muffler post

Hi Bueller community, been a while since I've posted last. I'm currently removing the stock muffler on my 06'XB12X due to the old issue of the sidestand mount bolts shearing off, and have a couple of questions. PO must have upgraded the stand because it has the pivot pin w/ the circlip, as well as a (3)bolt hole mounting plate, even though I only have the 2 holes to secure it to. I haven't extracted the broken bolts out of case yet, but want to confirm what flange bolts to buy. I know they're 5/16" diameter. Are they 5/16"-18 x1-1/4" full thread coarse? I'm finding them in zinc plated grade 8(serrated under flange), but the flange diameter of the new ones I've found are only 11/16", compared to 13/16" on the OEM flange. That's 1/8" of slop in the recessed area of the mounting bracket for the flange to reside in. Will that be o.k., or does anyone know where I can get a grade 8 with the proper 13/16" diameter flange?

I see on the sites that I'm looking on that I can get the proper flange diameter if I go with 3/8" diameter bolts, but would rather not go through the drilling/tapping upgrade unless necessary. I'm thinking that the OEM 5/16"bolts lasted all these years(probably grade 5) so upgrading to grade 8, checking & keeping them tight should do it; but would prefer the proper flange diameter. Too bad I can't use that 3rd hole in my upgraded sidestand.
    While the muffler is off, Im going to prep and paint it. I know it'll be heat paint, but what to use; Flat or Satin? Mine's old and faded(like me)and don't know what the stock sheen was, or what is preferred by most? I'm thinking Satin? Sorry about the novel here.

Bob: The correct side stand mounting plate bolt size for all post 2004 XB's is:
    5/16th inch diameter....18 pitch tooth count....1-1/4 inch length......flange head.
    Added to microfiche description is Grade 8 with 2510N patch. NO idea what the 25110N patch designates. Perhaps details unique to the flange end?????

Factory part # was CA0016.02A8---suffix B1H. Multiples still listed available thru H-D dealer system, if you want to go that route.
    They used to be shipped in packs of 5 as this bolt is used in other applications such as shifter assembly and a few others I can't immediately recall.

The original muffler finish was hi-temp satin black.

I used vht flame proof spray paint on a couple mufflers. I think I used satin or semi gloss. Flat is was too dull in my opinion. Either way that paint layed out nice and held up well.

Thank you both for the reply. If that factory bolt part(H-D)mentioned was in fact upgraded to a Grade 8, I don't mind spending a few more bucks to get that proper flange diameter(13/16"). Thanks again.