Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel map from Rev-Mo vs IDS

Hybrid View

Fuel map from Rev-Mo vs IDS

I purchased a Buelltooth. Rev-Mo says the maps they provide are the same ones that IDS uses. Can anyone maybe verify this?

If that's what they say, why doubt it? If you're worried about it, go to the source.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    If that's what they say, why doubt it? If you're worried about it, go to the source.
    I didn't doubt Rev-Mo until I started reading all the negativity towards the company and that he's basically bricked alot of bikes.

Just doing my due diligence, I suppose.

IDS did the work. Buy from them

LOL. You'll only find that trash talk on Facebook. It's silly, but heres the cliff notes anyway. The "I'm a self-taught mechanic" guy that runs that FB Buell forum (Jacob) was friends with X-Opti (Mike IIRC?) on that forum. Jacob would advertise Mikes 'business' where would run OE tunes through the free program MegaLog viewer, claim they were his own and charge Buellers $350 for the privilege. The Rev-mo guy (Dave) is a computer geek and started doing that for free for everyone, and of course promptly ruined Mikes scheme of charging for his "tuning" of that OE property.

Popularity contest ensued, lots of capital letters were typed in anger, crosses were burned, and ****talking=FaceBook.

FACT:
    Bricking an ECM is not anything you can do without trying VERY hard to do the wrong thing. It is a long told rumor, rarely caused by forcing a wrong firmware version tune into an ECM. Heres the rub... It is IMPOSSIBLE using the ECMDroid interface that Rev-Mo uses. Theres not even a safety to defeat that would allow it. So by "impossible", I mean... impossible.

Doe's it surprise you that Facebook is full of ****?

And to Outlaws valid point, yes. IDS, with the help of Dean Adams, have made several tunes using actual tuning software and an actual dyno testing facility. It's semantics to choose who you believe owns the tune.
    Does IDS own the right to collect R&D cost from a dyno session twenty years ago? They started with an OE tune...
    Does the guy that originally bought the tune own it (and therefore can give it away)?
    Should the 3rd- 4th-10th recipient of that tune need to send IDS some royalty cash?
    Should the Rev-Mo guy pay IDS all that money he makes from the tunes (that he gives away for free)?
    Do you crave feeling higher-than-thou paying $350 for something you can get for free?

Fact is that Pandoras box is opened. The Buell ECM was jailbroken twenty years ago and even if Buell was still around, why would they care? IDS will even sell you an ECM that can be modified at home so....

Told ya it was silly.

TL;DR
    **** I hate Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    LOL. You'll only find that trash talk on Facebook. It's silly, but heres the cliff notes anyway. The "I'm a self-taught mechanic" guy that runs that FB Buell forum (Jacob) was friends with X-Opti (Mike IIRC?) on that forum. Jacob would advertise Mikes 'business' where would run OE tunes through the free program MegaLog viewer, claim they were his own and charge Buellers $350 for the privilege. The Rev-mo guy (Dave) is a computer geek and started doing that for free for everyone, and of course promptly ruined Mikes scheme of charging for his "tuning" of that OE property.

Popularity contest ensued, lots of capital letters were typed in anger, crosses were burned, and ****talking=FaceBook.

FACT:
    Bricking an ECM is not anything you can do without trying VERY hard to do the wrong thing. It is a long told rumor, rarely caused by forcing a wrong firmware version tune into an ECM. Heres the rub... It is IMPOSSIBLE using the ECMDroid interface that Rev-Mo uses. Theres not even a safety to defeat that would allow it. So by "impossible", I mean... impossible.

Doe's it surprise you that Facebook is full of ****?

And to Outlaws valid point, yes. IDS, with the help of Dean Adams, have made several tunes using actual tuning software and an actual dyno testing facility. It's semantics to choose who you believe owns the tune.
    Does IDS own the right to collect R&D cost from a dyno session twenty years ago? They started with an OE tune...
    Does the guy that originally bought the tune own it (and therefore can give it away)?
    Should the 3rd- 4th-10th recipient of that tune need to send IDS some royalty cash?
    Should the Rev-Mo guy pay IDS all that money he makes from the tunes (that he gives away for free)?
    Do you crave feeling higher-than-thou paying $350 for something you can get for free?

Fact is that Pandoras box is opened. The Buell ECM was jailbroken twenty years ago and even if Buell was still around, why would they care? IDS will even sell you an ECM that can be modified at home so....

Told ya it was silly.

TL;DR
    **** I hate Facebook.
    This comment was a lucky find... guy on the facebook group asked about how he could get his bike tuned and I suggested the Buelltooth and ECMdroid since it sounded like he was just looking for a simple filter/exhaust tune and I had several know-its-all jumping down my throat and telling me Rev-moto is trash and I was giving out bad advice for a company that steals tunes and wrecked peoples bikes...blah blah blah. Low and behold I was searching the forum for info on full exhaust systems and came across this. Golden... funny thing is I got the vibe that this was some HS drama crap...

Well that was alot more information than I bargained for! I appreciate the honest insight into the dark world of fb slander and how the name calling wars came to be.

Definitely feel at home with things now.

I too also read on Facebook about how rev-mo was a scam . Got me worried because I bought their exhaust and map that came with it.

Thanks to Cooter with the details about them just feuding and pity makes a lot of sense now.

I was thinking about doing the barometer so I can bypass the O2 sensor and the Facebook group popped up .

No worries. I hate all that catty Jr high school cliquy BS, but those are the facts as I know them. I'm sure theres another 10 sides to the story

IMO, I agree with the Buell engineers that an O2 sensor is a much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, better solution than a OL choked ECM and then having to add a baro sensor to make up for the loss. Running an Open Loop map for part throttle simple removes any ability for the ECM to adjust itself to perfect running conditions several times a second VS. making it a carburetor from the 90's.

Point 1: OL at part throttle isn't better, more power, 'EPA lean' blah blah. It either is too lean and is now unable to adjust, or it's too rich and fouls or sends that expensive gas, unburned, out the back. OL is for WOT only, and the ECM already does that by going into OL then... So mess with that and leave CL alone.

Point 2: There is no tune on the planet that will "fix" running issues. If your bike runs like ****... FIX it. Then tune if you still want too.
    Last edited by Cooter; 03-11-2023 at 05:12 PM.

Great reply. Answered everything I needed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast