Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Persistent Power Loss and Red Lights 06 Buell Ulysses - Help Needed with Troubleshoot

Persistent Power Loss and Red Lights 06 Buell Ulysses - Help Needed with Troubleshoot

I recently purchased a bike and have been experiencing some issues. The bike has been displaying weird red lights that continuously blink, and I noticed a loss of power. I did some research using the buelltooth dongle and found that I was receiving a TPS error, so I cleaned the TPS and reset it, and went for a ride again. However, after about 30 minutes, the same issue occurred, and the red lights blinked, causing the bike to stutter and die multiple times.

I went to a gas station about 3km away, and upon checking with the Buelltooth dongle, there were no recorded errors. I tried multiple fixes, including getting a CPS off ebay, replacing intake seals and spark plugs, and even getting a new 02 sensor. Unfortunately, the problem persisted with no error code.

I then thought it could be the ECM, so I purchased a used one off of eBay that came with a baro sensor, and hooked it up. At first, the bike ran terribly, so I did a TPS reset and went for a ride. The bike ran smoothly for a while, but then the issue returned, and the bike died almost immediately.

I contacted Revision Moto for a map, which did not help, and they deduced that the fuel pump might be the issue. I ordered a fuel pump test and a replacement pump, and did a pressure test. The old pump gave me 46psi, and the new one gave me 0psi, so I returned the new pump and kept the old one.

At this point, I am tired of swapping parts and looking for a paid consultation service. If anyone has any further suggestions on how to fix this issue, please let me know.

I'm not too technical in this post, However i'm open to suggestions as well as any technical request

The weird red light with the "V" symbol is your Check Engine Light (CEL) and will take several errors before it logs a code. Quit clearing them, it doesn't make the bike operate any differently, it just clears the code and the counters to set it.

46psi of fuel pressure isn't the 49psi specified in the manual. If it cant even pump enough statically, it definitely isn't pumping enough while riding. Get a fuel pump or rebuild kit from a reputable source like our own esteemed Barrett on here. E-bay ones "for Buell" can have the wrong regulator.

No mention of putting new NGK DP8 plugs in? Checking for TB leaks, General condition? Miles? Mods?

Thank you Cooter for your time

Yes the recommended is 49psi.

I used the NGK DCPR9EIX i read its more cooler. Yes i replaced the Throttle body Seals. It has 34k miles on it, i also changed the filter.

The only mods available on this is a modified Remus with dual muffler.

I'll reach out to Barrett for another replacement Pump

Could the difference of 3psi cause this issues i'm having?

Quote Originally Posted by joshboyz View Post
    Could the difference of 3psi cause this issues i'm having?
    Yes.

But you have to also consider that the gauge may not be 100% accurate also.

However, there is no CEL code on a 2006 model to specifically indicate low fuel pressure, so the CEL is indicative of another issue, which may or may not be related to the low fuel pressure.

Another thing to bear in mind is that around 2007, Buell changed the TPS to an different version. As I understand it, this was a "rolling change" and I dont think anyone knows when it actually came into production. The earlier style is available in the aftermarket, but if you have the later one, you may have another problem.

Also, as these bikes age, I've been reading about more issues of ECM's getting flakey and failing. I have one on my bike that does wonky things by lighting the CEL (but no code) and the bike still runs. So, just keep this in the back of your mind during diagnosis.

I'm not saying you definitively have the newer one, but its probably worth it to check out the TPS you removed and see if it has a red dot or two on it, as this will indicate the newer TPS, and you would likely have the wrong TPS on it. As these bikes are pushing 20 years old, someone may have updated the throttle body assembly to a later one (once upon a time, the entire TB assembly was cheaper than the individual injectors). The point here is, lets make sure you don't have mis-matched parts at the TB/TPS so you're not chasing a self created problem.

also see this post from BWB about a 2006 Uly.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...38/763221.html

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Yes.

But you have to also consider that the gauge may not be 100% accurate also.

However, there is no CEL code on a 2006 model to specifically indicate low fuel pressure, so the CEL is indicative of another issue, which may or may not be related to the low fuel pressure.

Another thing to bear in mind is that around 2007, Buell changed the TPS to an different version. As I understand it, this was a "rolling change" and I dont think anyone knows when it actually came into production. The earlier style is available in the aftermarket, but if you have the later one, you may have another problem.

Also, as these bikes age, I've been reading about more issues of ECM's getting flakey and failing. I have one on my bike that does wonky things by lighting the CEL (but no code) and the bike still runs. So, just keep this in the back of your mind during diagnosis.

I'm not saying you definitively have the newer one, but its probably worth it to check out the TPS you removed and see if it has a red dot or two on it, as this will indicate the newer TPS, and you would likely have the wrong TPS on it. As these bikes are pushing 20 years old, someone may have updated the throttle body assembly to a later one (once upon a time, the entire TB assembly was cheaper than the individual injectors). The point here is, lets make sure you don't have mis-matched parts at the TB/TPS so you're not chasing a self created problem.

Thank you 34nineteen i will take the bike apart again and check. and revert to you as soon as possible

I was able to take out the TPS. However it seems i'm using the old TPS. i could not see the 2 dots on top of it. Attached is the pictures, I apologies for the quality it's quite late at night here and i don't have a garage

04610366f9c2d87e63076945bfe562be6f8c160e42c7a16535fbcc2b65b99bf5d51f694b.jpg
    90236560eb753296fdfefa0da62974d68137cc6a3502efa471a48e0d83175545d61fbe21b3fe2426fac0fb45.jpg

I totally agree with you on this. I noticed my battery kept dying. I had to change the rectifier recently, As for battery i think its time i order a lithium battery. It's quite pricey here in my country but i have no choice.

As for the fuel pump, I got this from revision late-2005-2009-xb-fuel-pump-rebuild-kit. Unless i'm missing a step i don't understand how the pump does not output any pressure (0psi). However when i returned the old pump,i was able to get a pressure reading(46Psi) even though it did not meet the requirement.

As for my TPS, are there any Test suggestions to know if this is bad?

While going through the wires connected to the ECM i stumbled on this
    08468940bfb2e87db302ec3189d948bc4f4081f138f309b0e160f00d8b9b26b079b594c6a47d3b26c10fbf81.jpg

I don't know where it goes, i also found another empty slot, but it doesn't fit

37014365a99d492e26c28722d51d4bfdcc7048d3a519220e3a2c79f74b3ebc799d30532172a972d03db54cee.jpg

Last edited by joshboyz; 02-22-2023 at 06:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast