Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fuel pump will not stop running

fuel pump will not stop running

I picked up a real nice 2009 Ulysses recently. PO said nothing about this issue, of course, but after t/s'ing why the battery kept going dead I found that the fuel pump does not turn off. Kill switch off, key removed, pump continues to run. Removing the pump fuse is the only thing will stop it. With fuse in I disconnected the ecm and Ignition switch plug, no help. I have removed the fuel pump hoping to find an issue with the wiring but all was good. I replaced the regulator while I was in there. To make the bike rideable I have made an inline fuse holder and added an on/off switch that I can turn the pump off and on. Has anyone else had or heard of this? The constant power to the pump makes me think there is a hot wire chaffed to the pump wire somewhere. I did unwrap a little of the harness where the pump harness meets the main harness forward of the fuse box, nothing obvious there. Just about at wits end here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not that uncommon as these XB's continue to age. With key ON...kill switch to ON...10A pump fuse OK... and your pump continues to run after initially charging the fuel system, it's one or more of the following:

1-Pin hole and/or crack in the fuel pump high pressure supply line. It is the line that connects pump motor outlet to regulator housing.
    2-Yellow/Red + feed pump wire grounded to pump housing.
    3-Gray - feed pump wire grounded to pump housing.
    4-#2 above chafed within main wiring harness and shorting to positive feed wire
    5-#3 above """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """" """ to negative feed wire

Your trouble-shooting revealed the 2 main clues: The problem is not ECM related and most likely not positive feed wire related. Pump circuitry works by the pump being fed continuous 12V positive with key and kill switch to ON...BAS in "run position"....ECM supplying interrupted negative ground to pump to activate it. I would narrow my search down to the negative ground feed circuitry supplying the pump as well as the BAS switch. It is extremely rare but once saw a faulty BAS keep the pump activated at all times regardless of key and kill switch positions.
    There is a very simple electrical test to identify and isolate this problem.

You're welcome.

While I had the pump out I inspected all wires and all looked fine. As a precaution I heat shrinked the wires with fuel resistant shrink. I checked ALL fuses, none blown. I swapped all four relays into different positions. I had purchased a repair kit that had the regulator, and replaced that. The kit also had a new supply line you mentioned and replaced that. You mention problems with the pump continuing to prime with key and kill switch ON, my problem is the pump is running with kill switch OFF and key REMOVED. Questions: 1. Sorry but what is the BAS? 2. Is there supposed to be continuous power to the pump with key and kill off. At the disconnected of the bike harness and pump harness the pin for the gray wire is hot all the time. 3. Is there another relay in the system besides the four at the fuse box?
    Thanks for the input, really appreciate it.

I realize that and only mentioned continuous pump running with key and kill switch ON as it is becoming a common problem. Your problem as stated is with both OFF.

#1-Bank Angle Sensor
    #2-NO. Gray is the feed wire and should NOT be hot with key and kill switch both OFF
    #3-NO

Simple test as follows but first confirm that your 2009 wiring is the same as schematic below, as the black should be system ground. This test with pump mounted in frame should isolate the wiring problem and fault:
    Unplug pump wiring harness from main harness
    Locate the gray wire within the pump wiring harness
    Using a long thin metal probe such as the probe of a simple test light....connect the one end of test light to ground...connect a 12V positive feed wire from + battery terminal to test light probe. USE CAUTION WHEN DOING THIS
    Confirm test light illuminates
    Now push test light probe into the pump wiring harness where the gray wire resides
    Pump should now activate
    If this test activates pump you have now ID'd the gray wire as the source of the problem. It is receiving a positive current flow when key and kill both off and should not be. Cause is either failed ECM or positive short somewhere in the wiring loom or relay system. Know you switched them around but possibility is a failing Key Switch relay.

4834_20120214020511_L.jpg4834_20120214020511_L.jpg

I confirmed constant power at the bike side of the harness connector for the gray pin, with kill and key off and all four relays and both ecm plugs removed. This kind of leads me to what I don't want to hear and you stated, "positive short somewhere in the wiring loom or relay system" ugh! Would you agree with that? One thing I did notice using a test light probe is the fuse for ignition is constantly powered also, which I think is normal, just seems a little suspicious that it is the fuse right next to the fuel pump fuse. I think I might start with pulling the fuse box top off to see if anything is jacked up in there. Really just trying to make sure I'm not missing something obvious or easy cause I reall don't want to dig into the harness...

Don't rip anything else apart at this point. I have my 2007 XB City Cross in my shop for refreshing from storage. It is virtually new with 250 original miles on it and obviously never fiddled with. Give me a few days to go thru the pump wiring setup and see if I can narrow this down for you. In the interim, you should consult your SM and view the various pump schematics for wiring confirmation. Free download of the SM available with link on here if you don't own one.
    Is your battery installed backwards? Or the incorrect battery? All XB's use an ETX-14....NOT the L model, which has reversed terminals. Viewing battery from front of bike as installed, the negative terminal is on the shifter side...positive on rear brake pedal side.

He is the MAN ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !

Sir: The below is as far as I can take you on this dilemma. I have checked the wiring looms on 3 XB fuel pumps in my shop waiting for rebuilds. They are 2005-2009 inclusive pumps. Wiring schematics identical as per below. I just spoke with Harley Davidson York production manager Richie Fuller, who put me in contact with the plant electrical guru who shall remain anonymous. The XB series fuel pump sans the 2010 model year, operate and are wired virtually identical to all H-D XL and XR series twins. The XB service manual section regarding pump wiring is very confusing and the schematic virtually unreadable.

PUMP HARNESS HAS 4 DISTINCT WIRES AS FOLLOWS:
    YELLOW/RED TRACER IS FUEL LEVEL SENSOR FEED WIRE TO ECM
    YELLOW/BROWN TRACER IS PUMP SIGNAL TRIGGER FEED WIRE TO ECM
    BLACK IS GROUND FOR ENTIRE PUMP BODY...MOTOR HOUSING...FUEL LEVEL SENSOR HOUSING
    GRAY IS SWITCHED POSITIVE FEED WIRE TO PUMP

Factory suggests the following be investigated pursuant to your problem:
    Gray wire is switched. It also feeds both fuel injectors and 2 sensors. It should NOT be live with ignition switched off. Therefore, check for faulty ignition switch that is keeping it live after switch turned off.

Gray wire has shorted to another non-switched positive wire...making it live at all times regardless of switch position.

Battery installed backwards either now or in the past.

Battery cables installed backwards.

Failed ECM

Short occurring or corrosion occurring in fuse box between ignition fuse and battery fuse

Long-shot but fuse box Diode replaced with standard fuse...or installed backwards. Both scenarios would allow positive current to flow backwards thru part of the electrical system
    Last edited by Barrett; 03-01-2023 at 10:14 PM.

John, please excuse the interruption - the power for the fuel pump is indeed switched in the pre-2008 XB's and is shared between the fuel pump and fuel injectors, sensors but in the 2008-2009 models it is hot via the 10A fuel pump fuse (and the 30A battery fuse).

I just went and physically double checked this on my 2009 Uly to confirm this is correct as it is years since I have played in this area.

Therefore, it would seem the issue from the OP is related to the switched ground from the ECM.
    If the pump is still running with the Black ECM plug removed and it is certain the internal wiring of the pump is OK then the issue looks like a ground short in the Brn/Yel wire between the fuel pump and ECM plug.
    This wire is spliced at some point as it connects to two pins on the ECM - there isn't a lot of loom to check as the Black ECM plug isn't that far from the fuel pump connector.

IMG_2361.jpg

Having said that, I just had a close look at my 2009 loom and there isn't any obvious ground chafing points between the fuel pump connector and the Black ECM plug but it will be easy enough to eliminate.
    The two wires at the #ECM end are visible in the lower LH side of the connector (pin 27 & 28). With the Black ECM plug disconnected and the fuel pump plug disconnected there should not be any resistance between either of those pins and chassis ground.

IMG_2362.jpg

Ray

Good info, this gives me a few more things to check. I will get back to this thread with what I find. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast