Thread: XB9R Crank No Start

Hybrid View

XB9R Crank No Start

This is my first time using a forum, so hopefully I'm putting this in the right place. I've been looking through the forums for a potential answer or possibly a way forward with my troubleshooting with my 03 xb9r I purchased.

Recap on my experience...
    I purchased this bike 3 days ago from a gentlemen and let me tell you he sold me a pretty lemon. (Implying that the bike is beautiful but is just a paper weight atm, I'll explain shortly)
    I drove off from his place and as far as I was concerned the bike was definitely showing its age and was pretty loud. I expected things to need to be changed so I didn't think much of it. Power was there and everything seemed to work fine. I drove by the store and turned the bike off. I return outside and when I turned it on the fuel pump was pretty loud, alot louder then I expected it to be but it turned on just fine.
    Now I was on my way home. Mind you, this whole time between where it stopped to where it started was only 40mins of driving. Anyway I took a turn at a light and when I was speeding up it felt like I instantly lost power when I tried to accelerate. I was confused but the power came back and it was fine. Further down the road while cruising at 60 I started to notice I was pulling the throttle more and more and not much was happening to go faster. I was going 60 at half throttle and I was going nowhere. I figured it was bad gas and was intending to stop at the next gas station in town. I go over a bridge right before my town and the bike sputters twice then completely dies while I'm going 60mph. Lights stayed on and everything but the engine shut off. I pull off to the side of the road and try to start it again but literally nothing happened. I tried jumping the battery, I tried jumping the bike, and literally had no effect but just cranking over. I checked my fuses on the left and right side by my tachometer and nothing was popped. Fuelpump still primes and power still shows. I don't get any red light indicating a fault, and I even put new gas in the tank just in case. I finally get it back home the next day by towing it and this is what I've found so far...
    With the kickstand down and checking the dipstick the oil is literally filled passed the words overfilled on the stick. I had some oil in the airbox but not too too much. My battery atm is 11.81v. And really I don't know what else to even mention. So far I've order a plug that I can connect to the bike via Bluetooth that'll allow me to check codes, do a tps reset, ect. And that hasn't came in yet so I'm just here trying to check all I can. I bought new sparkplugs that I'll be changing sometime today, and looking over some forums to see some common places to check with a multimeter while I wait. I did also read that overfilled oil can get into the crankcase or something along those lines and maybe that can be the issue? Also I must note that the oil was fresh oil not even dark at all. Like straight from the bottle new.
    I'll keep this thread updated if I figure anything out, but I mostly was looking for you guys who are more familiar with this bike and what it has going for it to maybe help? Also I've looked over these threads as much as I could so I have some ideas to what I can do. But if I'm potentially missing something important please let me know thank you.

Bike has power
    No red light indicating fault
    Fuel pump primes (loud)
    Overfilled oil
    Some oil in airbox
    Sparkplug wires from coilpack look longer than stock
    Battery terminal has nut with a folded paper to keep it from falling out? (Yeah I have no ****ing clue, that's how I found it)
    No popped fuses
    Battery at 11.81v
    Battery jumping didn't work (with another vehicle)
    Driving 60mph nomatter the throttle position couldn't go faster (when issues started happening)
    Sputtered twice then shut off while driving (still had power)
    Looked at velocity stack and when removing bottom airbox it came out with it (there was no metal ring like I've seen in videos of other xb9's to hold the rubber on the throttle body)
    **NOTE**
    Forgot to mention this but this is what happens when I crank the bike...
    Turn key to on, set kill switch to run, kick stand down, in neutral, clutch not pulled, bike cranks no start.
    Clutch in stand up and in neutral bike cranks no start.

Sir: You have no base-line established to commence basic trouble-shooting. In simplest terms: If you have fuel...spark...compression...timing....your XB has no choice. It must and it will start. One or more of those ingredients missing.

YOUR BASELINE:
    OIL-remove lower cowling...oil filter...swingarm drain plug. Allow several hours for bike to fully drain. After several hours, simply remove 10A fuel pump fuse or disconnect pump wiring harness and crank engine for 5-7 approx seconds to evacuate most oil from crankcase to drain. Appears your engine has "wet-sumped". This will be mostly resolved by cranking over. Refill with new filter and 2.5 quarts of quality 20W50 oil. There's your oil capacity baseline.
    OIL CHECK: Your procedure for checking swingarm oil level is incorrect. The 2003-only oil fill cap dipstick wildly inaccurate. Your procedure also incorrect.
    PLUGS AND WIRES: Replace whatever is in there with NGK DCPR8EIX. Best XB plug. 9 is one heat range colder if you like. NGK supplied gap is fine. OHM the plug wires. If they appear incorrect as you stated then simply replace. Probably garbage.
    AIRBOX BASE ATTACHMENT BOOT: Your so-called "velocity stack" connects the airbox base plate to throttle body assembly. It must be installed and fitted correctly for your XB to run properly. If missing or improperly installed your XB will run horribly.
    FUEL PUMP: The 2003 pump is unique. Design was decent but longevity wasn't. It will need to be removed and either fully rebuilt by competent tech or replaced with 2004-newer design.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Sir: You have no base-line established to commence basic trouble-shooting. In simplest terms: If you have fuel...spark...compression...timing....your XB has no choice. It must and it will start. One or more of those ingredients missing.

YOUR BASELINE:
    OIL-remove lower cowling...oil filter...swingarm drain plug. Allow several hours for bike to fully drain. After several hours, simply remove 10A fuel pump fuse or disconnect pump wiring harness and crank engine for 5-7 approx seconds to evacuate most oil from crankcase to drain. Appears your engine has "wet-sumped". This will be mostly resolved by cranking over. Refill with new filter and 2.5 quarts of quality 20W50 oil. There's your oil capacity baseline.
    OIL CHECK: Your procedure for checking swingarm oil level is incorrect. The 2003-only oil fill cap dipstick wildly inaccurate. Your procedure also incorrect.
    PLUGS AND WIRES: Replace whatever is in there with NGK DCPR8EIX. Best XB plug. 9 is one heat range colder if you like. NGK supplied gap is fine. OHM the plug wires. If they appear incorrect as you stated then simply replace. Probably garbage.
    AIRBOX BASE ATTACHMENT BOOT: Your so-called "velocity stack" connects the airbox base plate to throttle body assembly. It must be installed and fitted correctly for your XB to run properly. If missing or improperly installed your XB will run horribly.
    FUEL PUMP: The 2003 pump is unique. Design was decent but longevity wasn't. It will need to be removed and either fully rebuilt by competent tech or replaced with 2004-newer design.

Good luck.
    Thank you for the advice I do appreciate the help!