Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Ulysses owner

new Ulysses owner

I thought I should sort of introduce myself. I live in AZ now and am originally from PA. I just bought an 08 xt thinking I could touch the ground easily but so far thats a stretch. I'm 80 yrs old anque, handling, d most of my 50 yrs of riding has been on Ducatis, Moto Guzzia and Piaggio Scooters. I did buy a Buell S3T new in 96 and upgraded iit with 97 pistons and the race kit. I loved the bike because of its torque, handling, comfort and gas mileage. I didn't like towing it back to the dealership 4 times while it was under warrenty time wize 4 time for vibration related breakdowns. Anyway a couple of my brends back east have ulys and are quitw happy with them so here we go again. I hope it goes better this time.
    Cheers,
    Warren

Welcome, Warren. I think you'll find the vibration will still be an issue, but the torque is still there in spades. Hope she treats you well!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    OK I have a loctite question. Do you use red loctite on some bolts and blue on others or????
    One of the disasters on my new Buell in 97 was the primary cover started to leak. Oil all under my rear tire. Tightenling it was fruitless. I put red loctite on it and the bolts stayed tight but snapped some of them off which fortunately I didn't have to repair since it was still under warrenty

Quote Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
    OK I have a loctite question. Do you use red loctite on some bolts and blue on others or????
    One of the disasters on my new Buell in 97 was the primary cover started to leak. Oil all under my rear tire. Tightenling it was fruitless. I put red loctite on it and the bolts stayed tight but snapped some of them off which fortunately I didn't have to repair since it was still under warrenty
    I would think being in PA the bolts would have just corroded in place.

Welcome by the way.

not in one month or 1500 miles

The ONLY component on any Buell XB ever factory assembled that had "red" loctite, was the attachment nut holding the front belt pulley to the trans output shaft. Every other fastener that received a supplemental liquid thread locker, received a proprietary "pink" liquid formulated exclusively for Harley Davidson and Buell by Permatex. Not available to public. Use "red" on the aforementioned nut...."blue" quite sufficient for all else.

Thanks for the info. You mean Amazon doesn't carry thr pink?? BTW by amishland do you mean Lancaster county? I lived there more than half my life
    Cheers,
    Warren

Aww! Scooterman and Scootertrash are gonna do a covered bridge tour together! How sweet

LOL, I kid.

Buells vibrate. I put Loctite on everything on a Buell. Red Loctite is for things you don't want to ever come off again without heating, and Blue Loctite is for things you might have to remove later. The key is CLEAN threads and a CLEAN hole. Sorry to hear about the leak in the tuber, thats scary! But it was never loose bolts that caused it.

Your XB series Buell still has an engine designed from the 50's so it might need a little attention keeping the fluids in. Take note on a post-ride check and if you keep on top of any issues, she will treat you just fine.

The Bridges of Lancaster County.

Sorry Scooterman, but you have to be Meryl Streep. John is always Clint Eastwood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast