Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buell XB Crank rebuild

Buell XB Crank rebuild

Hey folks, I have purchased a ratty XB12r that Im building into a BEARS track day bike. It hasn't had a kind life and bottom end and gearbox bearings showed signs of wear which has me suspicious of the crank and rod condition. Is anyone doing a XB12 rod and crankpin rebuild kit. I see there are many inexpensive options for Harleys, but not Buell. A new crank assembly is NZ$2500 and the Twin Motorcycle kit is prohibitive to get to NZ. Any help appreciated. Cheers, Stu
    Last edited by Mito; 04-08-2023 at 09:05 PM.

Sounds like the perfect time to put in a stroker

The only source I know of to get a Buell XB crank repaired is Dark Horse Crankworks. They ain't cheap by anyones standards.

TMK they are assembled the same (press-and-whack-it-square) so wouldn't any H-D familiar machine shop be able to knock out an easy repair?

Subscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    TMK they are assembled the same (press-and-whack-it-square) so wouldn't any H-D familiar machine shop be able to knock out an easy repair?
    I've tried to find a local (and less expensive) place to get an XB crank rebuilt. Nada. For awhile HD was selling the late model cranks (2008-2010) for less than what Dark Horses rebuild services were costing. This is what Magnesium Mike did when he built his 1170... except he bought the crank new and sent it to Dark Horse to finish tricking it out.

I would think AZ would have some options. Thats where you learned to ride only in a straight line right?

How is it different than doing the job for any Sportster? I thought the procedure would be identical.

You may already know about this Co., but if not, the lead I tracked down for crank rebuild and balance for us is Revolution Performance in Wisconsin. Talked to Shawn there. The ph.# 1(920)892-2109

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I would think AZ would have some options. Thats where you learned to ride only in a straight line right?

How is it different than doing the job for any Sportster? I thought the procedure would be identical.

You'd think so. I wound up sending the S1 crank to Hammer for them to rebuild. I asked about XB cranks and they said they just send them out to Dark Horse. The S1 crank is a bolt together piece where the XB and probably later Sportsters use a press together crank assembly. I know the XB does and am assuming the later Sportsters did too.

I learned how to ride in a straight line when I was a kid growing up in So Cal. Duh. I'm still figuring out how to corner without running off the track.

I would have thought the same but you cant get rods and crankpin separately. All Buells up to XB,s could be repaired using Sporter parts but xb's are different. If I could get a rod and crankpin kit, I can press up but no kit exists at this stage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast