Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike left me with a 1.2 mile walk home...Still scratching my head...

Angry Bike left me with a 1.2 mile walk home...Still scratching my head...

2007 xb12stt with almost 16k miles

1st proper ride of the season after getting it back together from a clutch change last week, and literally a mile from home I change lanes into the left turn lane and the bike just dies. When turning the key on, the lights still work, gauges sweep, horn beeps, blinkers blink, etc. I turn it to RUN and the engine light does not light up and the fuel pump does not cycle. Starter switch has no response. Fuses all look fine. Brand new battery.

I did have an electrical short in the harness coming down the stem last summer that I fixed. I inspected that area again and it looks fine. It also passes the wiggle test, in that no change was seen.

I swapped a new starter switch in that I have laying around just in case. Same results as above.

I'm kinda out of ideas at the moment on what to check next. I was actually planning on calling the local HD shop about getting the forks rebuilt and the maintenance checks done, so might have to add this to the list.

Any ideas?

Swap the relays in the fuse box around, they are all the same.

As per your symptoms:

Key switch relay appears to be in good order
    Ignition switch relay appears to be potential problem
    An inactive CEL along with lack of fuel pump operation is ALMOST ALWAYS RELATED TO A FAILED KILL SWITCH ASSEMBLY.
    Disassemble the right switch gear cluster to access the kill switch and examine same. Jumping the circuit when apart will immediately tell you if that switch is the problem.

Some 2007 models have 3 relays...late production 4. They are all the same and available for a few bucks from any HD dealership. They also cross over to Chrysler and Ford automotive AC relays. Match yours up at local auto parts store.
    Last edited by Barrett; 04-12-2023 at 01:00 PM.

Quick update...found the IGN fuse to be blown after careful examination. It was the smallest "blown" fuse I've ever seen, lol. Once replaced, the CEL and fuel pump now cycle, but the starter switch is still not operating when thumbed. I ran out of time for the night, but will keep looking. I will try the relay swap today. Mine must be an early production 07 as I only have 3 relays in the fuse block.

Unplug the battery for 2 minutes and hopefully it will reset.
    Had a similar issue

Also had to clean the start button years back.

Appreciate all the help and suggestions...it was the kill switch. Retested with the new one I had bought last year and it turned right over.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by reebis View Post
    I swapped a new starter switch in that I have laying around just in case. Same results as above.
    Quote Originally Posted by reebis View Post
    ...it was the kill switch.
    Both, the yellow starter switch and the red kill switch come in one complete unit on the right handlebar. Glad you got it running? but I'm so confused.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS carry a tiny sealed plastic bag somewhere under the seat that contains:
    Pen sized flashlight
    Spare relay(all 3 of yours the same---see my comment above)
    An assortment of mini blade fuses.

^ That's great advice. I need to add an LED flashlight to mine.

My starter switch stopped working out of the blue, as well. I took it apart and cleaned the corrosion and all has been well since. It gave me no warning signs whatsoever and wouldn't work no matter how hard I pushed the starter or smacked the unit until I took it apart and cleaned the contact points.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Lesson learned: ALWAYS carry a tiny sealed plastic bag somewhere under the seat that contains:
    Pen sized flashlight
    Spare relay(all 3 of yours the same---see my comment above)
    An assortment of mini blade fuses.
    Hadn’t thought of including the relays but the fuses and flashlight (usually my phone) has saved me twice from being stranded on the side of the road. Will bE adding relays to my ziplock bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast