Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Video cams (GoPro, Insta 360, or...?)

Video cams (GoPro, Insta 360, or...?)

I've always been interested in getting an action cam for my own protection/insurance and documenting my rides for who knows what.

I know a lot of guys use GoPro cameras and lately I've seen the Insta360 brand hocked on Youtube. Getting 360 view seems like a great idea, because who knows what might happen on the road.

What do you guys use, if anything? Most Buells shake like crazy south of 2500 RPM, and I've heard of vibrations causing issues with camera sensors. It would make sense to mount the camera on top of my helmet, that way you get no obstruction and I believe it would kill most of the vibration. Although mounting something on my helmet might make it less safe.

Thoughts?

I used to use the early Go-Pros and hated them so much/ hard to use, chips weren't big enough, batteries died quickly... I quit for years.

I just got an Go-Pro 7 and apparently thats the one to have. It's VERY easy to use and has cool features like a replaceable lens cover (uh, ya...). Its stabilizes awesome! I can even mount it to a fork LOWER and you can't tell. The most valuable hints are to get extra batteries/triple charger, 128mB cards, and film in 1080 (not 4k).

I've seen the insta 360 and it seems like a good one to have as a supplement, but not the only one. I personally hate the fisheye.

IMO helmet mounts are very dangerous unless you use a super weak mount that would break off in a crash, but that has it's own downfalls.

I don't think I'll have the battery issue, because my commute is only 20 miles round-trip. But also, my Ulysses has that handy power outlet on the dash.

The insta 360 can film in non-fisheye modes, I believe. Check out this video snipit for the helmet mount footage:

https://youtu.be/nVWikncEsjM?t=171

If you're using it as a daily dash-cam, the 360 pick-a-direction feature seems priceless. It would need to be in a spot like the top of the windshield (or top of your head) but it would do exactly what you need.

Yea, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. That video had a link to the site with a free "motorcycle mounting kit" You can put it on top of your helmet, clip to bars, rear grab bars, etc.

I like the helmet idea because it effortlessly swaps between bikes and gets a true 360 view. Safety concerns will have to be pondered. However, I wonder what the chances are you'd fall and land directly on top of your head... not zero, but close? And if you did, what effect would that have on the helmet's ability to protect you? I imagine sliding and it catching on something isn't a huge deal because it would just rip off the mount, or the mount's adhesive would give way.

Quote Originally Posted by c3powil View Post
    Yea, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. That video had a link to the site with a free "motorcycle mounting kit" You can put it on top of your helmet, clip to bars, rear grab bars, etc.

I like the helmet idea because it effortlessly swaps between bikes and gets a true 360 view. Safety concerns will have to be pondered. However, I wonder what the chances are you'd fall and land directly on top of your head... not zero, but close? And if you did, what effect would that have on the helmet's ability to protect you? I imagine sliding and it catching on something isn't a huge deal because it would just rip off the mount, or the mount's adhesive would give way.
    If I were you I'd seriously look into the 360 direction feature... especially if you were going to use it daily.

Mounting it on top of the windshield or on your helmet are the places I'd recommend.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-12-2023 at 06:57 PM.

Doin' it!

I run a Sena 10c Evo. Handles all my audio, comms, and video. I've been down twice recently with the sena and it's stayed put on my helmet. Even took a little scrap on the camera housing the last time and still works fine. I've been considering a 360 though as a secondary bike mounted option.

I'm happy to post some videos of the Insta360 X3 when it arrives. A helmet mounted "dashcam" that can see all around seems like an invaluable piece of security, if not just a super cool "moto-vlogging" tool. Not that I care to do much vlogging.

Quote Originally Posted by c3powil View Post
    I'm happy to post some videos of the Insta360 X3 when it arrives. A helmet mounted "dashcam" that can see all around seems like an invaluable piece of security, if not just a super cool "moto-vlogging" tool. Not that I care to do much vlogging.

I'm happy to post some videos of the Insta360 X3 when it arrives.

Please don't clutter the board with that nonsense.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast