Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fork leaking

Fork leaking

Looks like it's time to give the forks a little attention on my 07 XB9R. The right one is starting to get wet. Any advice? They are 43mm Showa, right? Is this an easy DIY job? My local Harley and other dealers don't want to touch a Buell. Found a shop in Phoenix (Buddy Stubbs) that will do it pending parts availability. Is this an opportunity to go with some aftermarket super duper stuff? Not a race track bike. Just a nice street bike. Has about 20K on it. Suggestions?
    Last edited by ksquare; 05-04-2023 at 10:16 PM.

Did you try the old style camera film trick ?

I'm clueless. Vats Dat? Something Maxwell Smart would do?

It does the same job a Seal Saver does. If it's a piece of dirt lodged in there making it leak, sometimes you can clean it out by slipping the film between the fork leg and the seal. Might as well give it a shot?

If it's leaking because it's worn out, well. Time for a re-build. The seal and oil are old enough for me to date them, legally

If you feel you are a competent mechanic, it's an easy job to You Tube how to do. Takes some specialty tools to make your life easy, but if your only going to do this one set ever, then think about that. Showa 43mm forks came on a LOT of sport bikes and the brand of bike doesn't matter, they're all the same. Maybe try a metric bike shop if you're not feeling confident?

You could at least take them off and send them to a suspension guy to save a bunch of money. Alternatively, most every trackday or race day I've been too will have a suspension guy that can knock it out quick, while you wait even, if you hand them over off the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by ksquare View Post
    Looks like it's time to give the forks a little attention on my 07 XB9R. The right one is starting to get wet. Any advice? They are 43mm Showa, right? Is this an easy DIY job? My local Harley and other dealers don't want to touch a Buell. Found a shop in Phoenix (Buddy Stubbs) that will do it pending parts availability. Is this an opportunity to go with some aftermarket super duper stuff? Not a race track bike. Just a nice street bike. Has about 20K on it. Suggestions?
    This is a very easy job to do.

These forks are very capable and great performing compared to most bikes out there (especially Harleys), and in stock form are a bit overkill for a "nice street bike". If you want it do it at home, the only special tools you need is a spring compressor (and a 2nd set of hands if its a SCG model) and a seal driver.

Here are your choices:

1. A set of fork oil seals for about $35.
    2. Upgrade to Ohlins for about $1000+

BTW, any motorcycle shop can handle the fork rebuild. In fact a Harley dealer would be the last place I would take it as, they normally deal with simple non-adjustable forks. These forks are really no different that Showas used on Ninjas, GSXR's, etc of the era. Just bring them the forks and parts and they can knock it out in a couple of hours depending on their work load. I like Eastside Perfomance in Mesa, or JG Moto in Glendale (off Grand, over the the Alaskan Bush Co and Mr Luckys), but any shop that deals in sport bikes should be at home with this.

Quote Originally Posted by ksquare View Post
    I'm clueless. Vats Dat? Something Maxwell Smart would do?
    No, people would sometimes use a piece of camera film, or a "tool" called a seal saver (you can get it at Cycle Gear) to clean out the sealing surface of the seals. If its just accumulated dirt causing the leak, this can fix it. My guess is that your fork seals are original and pushing 15 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    It does the same job a Seal Saver does. If it's a piece of dirt lodged in there making it leak, sometimes you can clean it out by slipping the film between the fork leg and the seal. Might as well give it a shot?

If it's leaking because it's worn out, well. Time for a re-build. The seal and oil are old enough for me to date them, legally

If you feel you are a competent mechanic, it's an easy job to You Tube how to do. Takes some specialty tools to make your life easy, but if your only going to do this one set ever, then think about that. Showa 43mm forks came on a LOT of sport bikes and the brand of bike doesn't matter, they're all the same. Maybe try a metric bike shop if you're not feeling confident?

You could at least take them off and send them to a suspension guy to save a bunch of money. Alternatively, most every trackday or race day I've been too will have a suspension guy that can knock it out quick, while you wait even, if you hand them over off the bike.
    Sounds like someones just repeating ole 34:19's advice.

Plenty of youtube videos showing the process too. This is azmidget out in Maricopa doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FptHgvIhO4

Have you called Stillwell Performance in Scottsdale?

I know a guy in Phoenix that LOVES to work on motorcycle strays. I'm sure he'd do it for you, and he even has a Buell junkyard in his garage!

No, you dont.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast