Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 XB9R - CEL on & Gage Cluster dead - low voltage due to poor battery ?

2006 XB9R - CEL on & Gage Cluster dead - low voltage due to poor battery ?

Hi folks, first post here.

I have 2 Buell bikes a 2008 1125R and a 2006 XB9R, along with far too many (if thats possible) other bikes in my collection.

Now, I gotta say, I'm not well versed on the Buell's, while I have owned the XB9R for 2 years, I haven't ridden it to be honest, its just in a static collection (I know, its a shame).

As I have an extensive collection of bikes , I take time in the shop now and again to run & heat cycle the bikes, Today was fire up & run some bikes day. All bike are kept on a smart tender, but when I went to start the XB9R today, the battery was dead, and I had to use a boost box.

Bike fired up easily on the box (I removed the boost box once it started up), and it ran like a champ, however after a few minutes I noticed that the gauge cluster was dead (no LED time showing and the tach was dead), in addition the Red CEL was on. Initially when it first started up the gage cluster was working fine (but I didn't notice the CEL due to the position of the handle bars)

I shut the bike off .

I re attached the boost box, turned on the key, waited for the clocks to sweep and the CEL to go out and re started the bike. This time the CEL did not come on again.

So my question is, did I have a problem due to the low battery voltage ? I know many bikes get strange issues when a battery gets low voltage or will no longer hold a charge. It seems too coincidental to be anything else. For sure I need a new battery.

thanks for the help

Ill try to be here a bit more often now that Ive joined up.

Bit about me, I'm retired, live in northern Ontario Canada, do a bit of farming in the summer and I've got a collection of about 20 bikes. I spend my winters doing bike restorations, and my summers riding and farming. Daily riders are a 2017 Africa Twin, 2017 Suzuki M109R, and a 2014 Valkyrie F6C.

Have a pile of other cool bikes too. 86 Honda NS400R, 89 Honda CB1, 2000 Kawi ZRX1100, 2012 KTM RC8 1190, 2010 Rossi R1, 2008 Aprilia RSV Factory, 1990 Kawi ZX7, and some others
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Straycat; 05-05-2023 at 02:51 PM. Reason: update

So which code is being indicated? Knowing that could answer your question.

Screenshot 2023-05-05 083850.jpg

It's not any common thing I've ever heard of. If the problem has fixed itself, I'd chalk it up to neglect Get a fresh battery (220CCA, not a cheap 180CCA one) and keep it on a tender. Buells are hard on batteries.

A very smart man, Barrett, on here suggested using the Tender with a lamp timer to have them on 8 house a day instead of 24. Plenty to keep the battery topped off and less likely to kill the battery, like the cheap Tenders 'tend' to do. (PUUUUNNNN!!!!)

Post pics of the collection. You've got great taste in bikes!

Thanks, Not sure how to pull a code, ill have to research that.

UPDATE:

Looked uptake procedure to jump the connectors on the data port and Got it. Code 16. Battery Voltage

I have my answer.

Thanks for the quick response and guidance guys. Off to FortNine to order a battery Now
    Last edited by Straycat; 05-05-2023 at 05:44 PM.

Cheers !

I use Deltran tenders on all the bikes, they don't provide a charge all the time, only when the battery needs one. Typically the batteries last 4x longer on the tender than not, but IDK how old this battery was when I got the bike, id have to look at the date code on it. Ill grab a 220CCA Battery to replace this one and see how it goes.

here are a few pics of the herd
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Straycat; 05-05-2023 at 05:42 PM.

Link to free service manuals

http://buellmods.com/

You can put the bike in diagnostic mode and count the flashes or invest in a Buelltooth (or make one) and use ECMDroid on an Android device to make it easy.

https://www.rev-mo.com/tuning

BTW, the recommended battery is a Deka Big Crank. I bought my last two from Battery Warehouse in PA.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 05-05-2023 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Link to free service manuals

http://buellmods.com/

You can put the bike in diagnostic mode and count the flashes or invest in a Buelltooth (or make one) and use ECMDroid on an Android device to make it easy.

https://www.rev-mo.com/tuning

BTW, the recommended battery is a Deka Big Crank. I bought my last two from Battery Warehouse in PA.
    Cheers, yes I jumped the 2 terminals in the diagnostic connector and counted the flashes, I assume thats what you mean by "putting the bike in diagnostic mode". Code 16.

Will see what type of battery I can get here in Canada, Deka Big Crank lists at $529 CAD here on Amazon ...WOW, ill keep looking
    Last edited by Straycat; 05-05-2023 at 08:21 PM.

I think they are in the low $100's at Battery Warehouse. Plus they are in PA, and everyone knows the best things come out of PA. After all, it is the HQ of LF Heavy Industries.

I think the battery is an ETX14, but I can't remember if its an "R" or not. Surely someone smarter and more handsome than myself will chime in and set the record straight.

Ill have to find a Canadian source at a reasonable cost. Shipping from the USA to Canada is usually more than the item itself, its madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Straycat View Post
    Ill have to find a Canadian source at a reasonable cost. Shipping from the USA to Canada is usually more than the item itself, its madness.
    I thought all Canadians had friends who lived on the US side of the border to smuggle goods to them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast