Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2006 XB9R - CEL on & Gage Cluster dead - low voltage due to poor battery ?

and with that said, school is out.

Principal Barrett Strickland will be keeping an eye on you slackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Sir: I have never owned or seen thru the factory pipeline, any R-Firebolt model with a red-colored CEL light. Hence, my remarks.
    The motorcycle section of my collection consists of 22-25 bikes at any one time. Presently, four of them are Harley Davidson XR-1200's and three Buell XB's. If any one of those 7 is going to be in hibernation for more than approx 3 months...the tank oil is fully drained and properly marked and stored. Eliminates wet-sumping, which the XB's are quite prone to as they age.

The Mighty Max battery number is YTX14-BS. BS suffix for "battery sealed". Best I've ever found at their price point. 200CCA rating but consistently 210 out of the box.

Many XB parts cross over to Harley Davidson models as well as automotive applications.
    Oil filter crosses to 2007-2018 Toyota Yaris 1.5L, as an example.
    Correct oil level in swingarm/tank quite tedious to accurately obtain. There is a specific sequence. If needed, let me know.
    Thanks very Much Barrett !! much appreciated. I will certainly heed your advice !!

Yes please if you can give me the sequence for accurate checking of the oil level that would be very much appreciated ! (Checking the oil in my M109R is a dreadfully tedious process too).

Cheers.
    Last edited by Straycat; 05-08-2023 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    First off. When you say you "NEVER" had the oil light come on before you started it, this is not good. The oil light needs to come on when the ignition is turned on and before the motor is started. If it does not, how do you know you have oil pressure (or not)? I'd figure this out first.

Wet sumping happens when either the oil tank drains down into the engine case while the engine is sitting. Or when the oil pump is pumping more oil into the engine it can remove, which will fill the crankcase with oil (not good) and drain the oil tank. On the last year of that version of the XB motor, Harley introduced a revised oil pump with a much larger "scavenge side" than previous years to help out with this. In 2008, the oil pump system was completed redesigned and is unique to the 2008-2010 motors.

Thank you

Yea, the oil light comes on when I first turn on the key before its started. Good clarification. When I said the oil light "never" came on , I was referring to while it was running when only the CEL came on. you can see it in my Picture on post #14.

Thanks for the oil pump info.

Great info sharing on here, much appreciated guys. Im not new to bikes, but definitely new to Buell so its all appreciated.
    Last edited by Straycat; 05-08-2023 at 08:15 PM.

My pleasure Sir. Correct sequence for checking Buell XB oil level is as follows:

Operate engine until you can feel a bit of warmth on the external left surface of the swingarm/tank. Typically 20 miles or so.
    Park bike on flat level surface with sidestand down and NOTHING between the sidestand foot and ground surface. ENGINE OFF
    Check immediately after riding and getting heat into the swingarm surface.
    Remove oil fill/dipstick cap...wipe clean...reinstall till snug....remove...then check oil level. Add oil if required as per dipstick unit of measurement

This is the only accurate way of checking oil level.

Cheers Barrett !

Heres a handy and free .pdf copy of the entire service manual for all the deets you'll need:

http://buellmods.com

Thank You

New Battery is installed and XB9R is alive once again.

Cheers guys for all the useful tips and information.

new one is a YTX14-BS 220CCA
    old one was a YTX12- clearly the wrong one

Here is a link to the Video on my bike and the battery issue.

https://youtu.be/d9KVP6-loEY

thanks again for the tips and advice guys

Straycat, from the Ernie Ball Music Man guitar forum?

I was Tollie over there, now I’m Tollywood there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast