Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water pump housing seeping oil

I looked at what I received from the mechanic (who is a former Buell tech) after I asked them to do my last valve adjustment and replace the clutch cover with the 2010 model. The old (2009) clutch cover has the water pump shaft and everything still installed on it, so I'm assuming everything I ordered for the 2010 "upgrade" went in.

This is what I ordered for that:
    R0022A.3AM clutch cover assembly (2010) $219.49 Newcastle
    Q0428.3AM waterpump shaft assembly (2010) $157.36 Newcastle
    CB0028.1AM thrust washer (2010) $2.73 Newcastle
    Q0430.3AM oil seal (2010) $8.08 Newcastle
    Q0431.3AM rotary seal (2010) $26.41 Newcastle
    R0001.1AM clutch cover gasket (2010) $17.28 Newcastle
    Q0426.1AM water pump gasket (2010) $4.06 Newcastle
    CJ0001.1AM sealing ring $1.25 Newcastle

I just rode the Buell into work this morning and took it easy - I don't think I exceeded about 6000 RPM and was basically just cruising in. The ride is about 16 miles with some twisties thrown in... I do not see any seepage at all after that ride. So that's good. I guess I'll just do a few more tame rides and see how it's doing because I'd really love to take this up into the mountains at the end of the month. Perhaps it is just a high RPM, aggressive riding thing, but I think I need to put some more time on it to determine that.

Looks like a complete list to me, but you can buy that part NOS with the WP included and installed too. That rotary seal is the bitch one.

If you paid to have this professionally done by a former Buell tech........ what did they say when you asked them about the work leaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Looks like a complete list to me, but you can buy that part NOS with the WP included and installed too. That rotary seal is the bitch one.

If you paid to have this professionally done by a former Buell tech........ what did they say when you asked them about the work leaking?
    I haven't approached the techs about this because I've put 6000 miles on the bike since that work was done. If it does need to come apart again, I think I'm going to do the work myself since I've got a few other rides.

Thats fine, I'd still recommend sending the cover to Chaz.

So at this point, I've driven the thing to work and back several times, hammering on it a fair bit at times while passing or just stretching the legs on a straight. It has stopped seeping. No idea why or what happened there. Maybe it seeps if I'm hammering it hard at high RPM for sustained periods, unclear.

I'll definitely consider sending it to Chaz once I have to rotate the motor for the valve adjustment in a few thousand miles, though.

I actually had 34:19 run down to your place real quick and wait for you to go to sleep. Then he broke into your garage, pulled off the inner clutch cover, repaired the seal and had it all back together well before the first Rooster crowed.

Man, he's so good, right!?!

Still seeping occasionally. I think I'm going to chance it and ride the **** out of it up to Greer at the end of the month.

I did buy a new Honda CB1000R (2023 model) and that thing has turned into a lemon. At Honda's direct orders, I'm required to trailer that POS back to Mesa where I bought it from, so that machine is out for my Greer excursion. The XB12 lost a belt and it'll be a few weeks before I get the new sprocket, so the 1125CR is all I got!

It's a long ride, but I'd run it, have fun, and keep an eye on it. I bet it's fine Post pics!

What happened to the Honda? I thought Buells were unreliable POS's and Hondas were always perfect in every way, forever? Is the internet wrong!?!
    Last edited by Cooter; 05-21-2023 at 05:57 PM.

The Honda is missing some part or something from its single sided swingarm, there's excessive play in it. I did, in fact, trailer the POS back to Mesa where I bought it from and there it remains since last Tuesday. No idea what's wrong with it, but the local dealer here in Tucson said it's not safe to ride.

Our trip to Greer got cancelled because my other half was being a pansy. Regardless, I've gotten to work on the XB12Ss since the new sprocket came in. Not quite jumping into that yet because of what I mentioned in another thread about overspray. For the 1125CR, I think the oil level is actually overfilled and may have been causing the seepage. I don't know if that resolves the issue because I only just drained about 200 mL out of earlier today, but I plan to ride it hard tomorrow and will see if it's seeping again. The seepage was definitely correlated to high RPM operation.

Bummer about the trip! It looked so cool I was gonna drag ol' 34:19 out for a ride next time I'm in PHX with a free day. Lots of Eagle Rider credits to burn.

It's gonna take a LOT of "seepage" to make any difference in the oil level. Even if it was enough seepage to have one drop on the floor... 20 drops= 1mL, so there is approx 56,780 drops of oil in your properly filled Buell

Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 6.23.49 PM.png

Wow the dork is strong today

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast