Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel Pressure Fault code

Gord: There is a specific exacting sequence that must be followed when installing the high pressure fuel line onto these pumps. Attachment is pump I just rebuilt showing same. Line must be correct size and length...heated on both ends and pre-installed...then removed and reinstalled with single 1/2" Oetiker clamp on the pump motor end. You can also install one on regulator housing end but not required. If line not installed in this precise manner it is guaranteed to eventually leak. Got your note but no response. Did you want me to send you up those parts?

100_2311.jpg
    100_2314.jpg

Yes please.

Gord

To be more clear, yes please send the parts. Just let me know what the cost is and I will send you the cash ASAP.

So, an update for you. I received the new flex hose from Barrett, (thanks man) and installed it as per directions, I then tested the whole assembly in water and made sure that there are no more leaks anywhere and there are none that I can see, I ran the pump submerged in a bucket of water and ran the voltage all the way up to 13.5 volts and it seems tight. I installed the pump and tested it and the CEL came on again, ECM droid reports a fuel pressure fault and a live data capture shows the pump running at between 40 and 50 PSI. At this point I'm not sure where to turn next, maybe the regulator is bad, that's the only thing I can think of.

Is there a substitute regulator that I could try that I can pick up at my local auto parts store?

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I would also like to know if running the bike in this state will cause harm. The bike runs perfectly otherwise but I don't want to cause damage to any other part of the bike because the fuel pressure is lower than specified.

If you're positive the pressure sender is good, the pump is good, and the regulator is good, I got nothing for ya.

You'll know if the bike is running lean by looking at the AFV. 90-110 is well within safe riding range, IMO.

Well, that's the thing, I don't know if the regulator is good or not or at least I don't know how to test it. When I run the pump in water at 13.5 volts with no restrictions on the pump outlet the reg does not leak. If I try to block the outlet with my fingers it starts to bypass water through the reg. It does work but I am not sure if it is bypassing fuel when the fuel line is connected to the pump. It is possible that it is faulty and bypasses fuel at a pressure that is lower than specified (50 psi) by the ECU. I would just go to my local auto parts store and by one if I knew that I could get one that was made for another vehicle but is known to work in this application.

Does anyone here have any experience with a substitute that might work?

I did check the AFV and it looks to be petty solid at between 98 and 102.

I'm unfamiliar with the 2010-only fuel system, but I have never seen a F.I. system where the ECM dictates fuel pressure as a tuning tool and wouldn't even know how that would be accomplished. My 'guess' is the fuel pressure sending unit is there simply to light the CEL if it sees an issue. Like its doing.
    You've got to be jumping over a spot in diagnosis
    If it was in my shop, I would check the pump alone (without regulator) for pressure and flow. If it is able to produce over 49psi for time, I'd add the regulator, if its still able to produce exactly 49psi for time, i'd check the whole unit again as an assembly.

BTW, that AFV is telling you its safe to ride.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123