Thread: Blown mystery oil seal

Blown mystery oil seal

Forgive me because I'm new to buell. Just bought an 03 xb9s and had put just a few hundred miles on it. Was out riding and something felt wrong. I stopped and found oil coming from, I believe, behind the front sprocket. There was also a mangled spring stuck in my drive belt that I'm thinking is from the blown seal.

I've looked all through the manual and the factory catalog and I can't figure out where this blown seal actually is.

When you push the bike in neutral, or with the clutch pulled in, you can feel something getting grabbed and causing resistance.

Not yet sure where to start.

Apologies, I probably should have put this in the troubleshooting sub forum
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Boybrushedplad; 05-10-2023 at 01:16 AM.

There is a seal behind that pulley, there is oil behind it. Sounds like that's what it is. I have some new seals here if you want to attempt the repair yourself. Search for threads, theres a homemade tool you can make to sneak it out.

Heres a free copy of the service manual so you can see what it takes:
    http://buellmods.com

Sir: Your oil-leak culprit in the vicinity that you described is called the trans output shaft seal and plate. It is directly behind the front belt pulley. May also be a hair-line crack in the engine case at that precise point. Harley Davidson part # was 12076A now superseded by # 12076B.
    You are kidding yourself if you think you're capable of successfully replacing this complex seal, on your own. Tip of the iceberg is TWO dedicated special factory tools required to even remove the belt pulley. Left hand threads involved.

Seek out a local shop/tech who is familiar with belt-driven Sportsters and get assistance. Best advice.