Thread: Three wire O2 sensor???

Three wire O2 sensor???

Okay I have replaced many single wire O2’s with heated ones on throttle body injection cars and trucks. One of the most common the Chevy astro van. On the neighborhood soccer mom’s van a heated sensor gets the ecm to closed loop in seconds instead of minutes and doesn’t cool on extended idle time either most short trip drivers see 2-5 mpg improvement.
    So why tell a bunch of people on a motorcycle forum about mini vans?
    I was thinking about warm up fouling spark plugs when not going for a long enough ride that if vehicles that use the same sensor and ecm logic benefit greatly then maybe the same mod would benefit the bikes as well.
    If you don’t want to cut and splice any wires there’s kits for TBI and TPI cars with headers that have problems with O2 sensors cooling off that are almost plug and play.

No thoughts on this? I do a lot of short trips and minor fouling has been a little annoying and I think this will help.

Give it a try and report

Will do. I am going to try seeing how long it takes to get to closed loop with and without the heater plugged in.
    Does the head temperature sensor have any function (like a coolant temperature sensor) to get to closed loop or only for overheating? My guess is overheating only.
    Last edited by cvc; 05-19-2023 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cvc View Post
    Will do. I am going to try seeing how long it takes to get to closed loop with and without the heater plugged in.
    Does the head temperature sensor have any function (like a coolant temperature sensor) to get to closed loop or only for overheating? My guess is overheating only.
    I think it does detect going from warm up to normal operating temp. I remember seeing something about it when I was using ECMSpy (not Droid).

http://www.ecmspy.com/ug_mono/V2.0/limits.shtml