Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Belt loss and sprocket options

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    You're a nozzle.
    Yo mama is a ex-Miata driving Oregonian.

All good points. I did order this directly from Tucson Harley-Davidson, in person, walked into the store and went to the parts counter. They had to order it from their Vintage Parts division, apparently, but they did have it in stock. The date on the box it came in shows 2019.

I think I will take a bit of emory like you suggested on a popsicle stick and just clean up some of the really bad stuff and run it. I had the same issue with my 1125CR! I took the rear wheel in for a new tire and it came back with minor nicks and damage to the sprocket. Next time, I think I'm just going to remove the sprocket to avoid that altogether. Thanks for the responses!

I still don't have everything fully assembled, but it's only because the belt is super tight and I'm struggling with installing the tensioner. I watched a couple of Youtube videos this morning and plan to remove the belt from the rear sprocket, install the tensioner and then start the belt back onto the rear sprocket from the bottom and rotate the wheel to help pull it on. If anyone's got any other suggestions, by all means...

It doesn't end there, though... I'm replacing the steering head bearings as well as the front wheel bearings since I did the rears... time for a reset on all these bearings!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's a very simple process to install the belt tensioner. Be absolutely certain that the belt teeth are fully engaged in both the front and rear belt pulleys. Then do the following:
    You MUST have rear wheel off the ground by whatever method you choose
    Belt teeth must be fully engaged in front and rear belt pulleys
    Remove rear axle pinch bolt
    Remove rear caliper and set aside
    Loosen rear axle exactly 21 TURNS from fully tightened
    Press the tensioner pulley fully upwards against the bottom of the belt
    Now pivot the tensioner pulley mounting bracket upwards and onto the 2 mounting studs
    Install both flat washers and 9/16th inch nuts and tighten to specs

Can't make it any simpler than that. Very straight-forward procedure.

I’ve only got the rear axle turned out 15 revolutions, so maybe that is part of the issue. The belt is extremely tight, though.

Doesn't sound right to me. Did you double check the part number? Count teeth? Maybe they gave you an R belt? Parts monkeys....
    Check the part number on the old belt to compare, perhaps a previous owner modded something like the rear pulley.

They are tight to install but not impossible. I'm afraid that if you manage to get it on there your bearings are doomed.

I managed to get it on there using the method that Barrett described. I loosened the axle exactly 21 turns out and then pushed the tensioner up against the belt while rotating the mounting bracket into position and it finally slipped into place. It does seem a bit tight, but suspect it would loosen up after a few heat cycles? I have new bearings in the wheel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123