Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: misc xb12xtquestions frt whl brgs, pinch bolt specs

misc xb12xtquestions frt whl brgs, pinch bolt specs

Things don't happen too fast around here as I'm a full-time care giver for my wife who has dimentia among other problems. I'm done with the back end of the bike except for the rear axel pinch bolt which is missing. Looks like it might have been a 5/16 18 thread? How long? Allen head? Now I'm on the front end replacing whl brgs. It appears there is no inner or outer side of the brg. Is this right? Next project will be lowering the bike. I've seen a plethera of posts on this subject. Is there a concensus on what works best yet? I'm 5-8 28.5 inseam and old. I still like canyon riding. Never ride 2 up anymore and I'm about 210 w/gear. TIA
    Cheers,
    Warren

Hey Warren. I would check the condition of those threads first because it's very common for amateur wrench people to massively over tighten that simple pinch bolt and strip out the aluminum swingarm. You can make your own thread chaser by cutting a couple slots in the threads of a long bolt if theres enough left, or heli-coil and make sure to get it straight.

Ya 5/16-18 socket head allen 1.25" long is what came out of mine. Approx 28 ft/lbs is plenty, not sure what the factory spec is, but thats close. You can look up the exact spec yourself in any part diagram like the one on Twin Motorcycles site. FYI, a regular hardware store black oxide coated one will rust in a big hurry. Use a stainless or zinc plated one. Mc-Master-Carr Grainger, etc and a little anti-seize.

There's no inside or outside to the bearings. The RS suffix of the bearing part number means a dual seal. Pay attention to which side gets installed first. Supposedly makes a minuscule difference in wheel center because they don't both bottom in the wheel, they bottom on the bearing spacer. Its in the manual.
    Buellmods.com

Lowering the bike isn't hard. Try dropping the rear pre-load to zero and run the forks up into the triple 3/4" see if thats enough to help, it will take less than you think. It isn't rocket surgery. Ignore the 'yer gonna kill yerself man! It GEOMETRY N' STUFF' crew. They don't understand suspension well enough to know that small changes are perfectly fine.

Have you tried a lower seat option? Careful with clearance to the ECM, there has been issues with the ECM cracking if it's contacted by the seat and a relocation bracket is available or easily fabbed.

Your correct info is below.

REAR AXLE PINCH BOLT---size is 7/16-14 x 1.5" length----OEM part # is AA0712.2CZB

FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS--same size all XB's all years. NO inside/outside differences so can be installed either direction. They are 6005 series...FAG...SKF...All Balls all stock them. Dimensions are as follows in Millimeters: 47OD--25ID--12Width

FRONT AXLE----LEFT HAND threads
    Last edited by Barrett; 07-01-2023 at 11:33 AM.

Hey Barrett, since you're in the parts book Whats the breakdown for the pinch bolts for all the different swing arm styles? He didn't say what year his XT was... why is it different than my '08 Ss?

My bke is an 09 xb12xt. Just sticking something up there in the hole the 5/16 18 seems to be the right one for my bike. I just wasn't sure what lenth it should be. As cooteer said probably 1 1/2 length, is there a PN for the lower seat for the XT?

Both Harley Davidson parts directory master list plus referencing part number to SM later years ALL XB's, shows precisely what I listed above. No divergence for different models 2006 and up. Fastening torque all X-XT-S long models listed @ 40-45 ft lbs.
    Perhaps it's a misprint or typo on their part? Best I can tell you.

Thanks so much for checking for us Barrett. It's much more likely that my bike has been messed with than the parts directory is wrong and wasn't corrected all this time.

Great, one more thing to add to the list to check. #Buelllyfe haha.

I got 1.2 slipping the fork all the way to the bottom of the handle bars and an 06 SS shock gets you about the same you will loose the hydraulic preload but if you don’t load the bags crazy heavy with two up it works well. Kylee and I have about 20 lbs in the top bag and a combined weight of 320lbs for both of us in gear. At 5”7’ in my boots it’s just low enough to push it backwards into the parking spot so long as it’s not too steep.

It's a very common thing to do on a motorcycle and thats a big change for being so easy to do Did you notice any change at all in handing or ride?

My only caution for future readers of this thread is to check full compression for contact of the fender to the motor mount on the XB Scg. Those forks are so short to begin with it could be an issue.

OK I'm on the road ar last. I have the forks up against the handlebars and all the preload out of the rear shock but I'm still not very comfortable riding iit. I'm on the ball of my feet when I stop. I guess I need a SS or SCG rear shock. Does anyone have a good one to sell?[/ATTACH]20230622_100133.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast