Thread: Primary case

Primary case

Question, has this ever happened to anyone and what’s my options ??

On my 2007 XB12s, Where the clutch cable goes into case, there’s a cam that sits in there and pushes clutch pack in, on the case there’s a flange molded into case to hold cam in place. My flange broke off and clutch won’t engage/disengage. This flange is approximately 1/8th inch(4mm) wide and goes 3/4 around the cam circle.
    Last edited by Johnboub1; 06-04-2023 at 05:39 PM.

Yes. you can replace the primary cover or if you are handy there is a repair kit. It is called the clutch ramp.

Primary cover clutch actuator pivot ramp. Typical break looks like pic below. Failure rate was probably 5%...as I recall.
    Contact individual named David Flack at below address. Inactive board member that I haven't seen on here for 9 years. He's a wonderful guy. Impeccable integrity and true craftsmanship. You can drain the 1 quart of primary/trans fluid, remove cover and send to him for proper repair OR buy a repair kit and instruction sheet from him and attempt it yourself.

David Flack------------robndave.inc@gmail.com

xb primary cover 1.jpg

+1 for Dave Flack.

and +1 for Barrett

Last edited by 34nineteen; 06-05-2023 at 03:00 PM.

I had this occur years ago on my 04 XB12S. I ordered the clutch ramp repair kit mentioned by Barrett. The repair was relatively easy and I have no issues since. If I recall correctly, which seems to decrease with age, the clutch ramp is stronger after the repair than it was prior. It was also significantly less expensive than replacing the primary cover. Either way, I would suggest replacing the primary cover gasket while you have it off. Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Just curious, does anyone have a good case cover for sale ? I took cover off and I noticed a small stress fracture and a puncture from shifter when kickstand busted.

Careful when replacing it. All '03-'07 XB are not the same. Shifter seal size comes to mind, eh 34:19?

9 or 12 won't matter, heres one for $72.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/29571591913...3ABFBMlNbJ6pFi

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Careful when replacing it. All '03-'07 XB are not the same. Shifter seal size comes to mind, eh 34:19?
    I only ride Yamaha R3's any more.

When you are done with your R3 please check your inbox.