Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: New to Buells

  1. #11
    Senior Member Cooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Crawling up your skirt
    Posts
    10,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    2-FACTORY ISSUED ENGINE NUMBER STAMPED ONTO ENGINE CASE--IT DOES NOT ALWAYS PRECISELY MATCH VIN-WHOEVER SAID IT DOES IS WRONG-ONLY THE LAST 6 NUMBERS ALWAYS MATCH VIN LAST 6 NUMBERS
    Yes, that is what I meant, of course. Apologies if you assumed otherwise.

    Quote Originally Posted by miatamarty View Post
    I bought it as a XB9. I don't feel I was misled. Looked at engine number. Appears to be the smaller engine. The header pipe is 1.8. I'm thinking engine swap at some point in the past. Sticker on left side of headstock is definitely talking about Federal EPA standards. Worked as an auto tech for 35 years so I know what I'm looking at. Not trying to be snarky. Anyhow, I'm super stoked to have the bike. Hope to have a lot of fun times. Looked up VIN code on website Buellmod. Downloaded manual on pdf which was a little clearer than the one you suggested. Really, thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
    The engines are identical in physical size if thats what you mean? The crank, header primary tubes (1 3/4' vs 1 1/2" approx, throttle body (2" vs 1 3/4" approx), and the primary gearing are the simplest ways to see, but all are interchangeable too! so theres some Frankensteins out there to be sure, haha. Check the engine number (left side) against the VIN on the smog sticker and on the steering neck thats next to it.. and I'd trust that info.

    That said, your probably right and the most common by far is that it was swapped with XB-12 header at some point, either for 'performance' or necessity.

    Have fun riding! These really are fun

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The engines are identical in physical size if thats what you mean? The crank, header primary tubes (1 3/4' vs 1 1/2" approx, throttle body (2" vs 1 3/4" approx), and the primary gearing are the simplest ways to see, but all are interchangeable too! so theres some Frankensteins out there to be sure, haha. Check the engine number (left side) against the VIN on the smog sticker and on the steering neck thats next to it.. and I'd trust that info.

    That said, your probably right and the most common by far is that it was swapped with XB-12 header at some point, either for 'performance' or necessity.

    Have fun riding! These really are fun
    Did I read this correctly that an XB9 crank is interchangeable with an XB12 crank? Or, say, my 07 Ulysses with a bad crank?

  3. #13
    Senior Member Cooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Crawling up your skirt
    Posts
    10,928
    The XB9 crank has a smaller stroke but since the 12-9 cases are the same go for it. Not sure why you'd want too, you'll end up with very low compression.

    In case you don't know the '08-up engines are different than the '07-under.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3BcMKN-2Nk

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The XB9 crank has a smaller stroke but since the 12-9 cases are the same go for it. Not sure why you'd want too, you'll end up with very low compression.

    In case you don't know the '08-up engines are different than the '07-under.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3BcMKN-2Nk
    HA! Ok, thanks. That type of clarification is what I'm looking for.

    Along those lines, if I'm looking to replace the engine in my '07, will prior year XB engines serve the purpose? I've learned that 08+ require intake, oil lines, etc etc differences. What about engines from an earlier XB?

  5. #15
    Senior Member Cooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Crawling up your skirt
    Posts
    10,928
    '03-'07 are bolt-in easy replacements. The '03 and some early '04 will have a different final drive pulley for the small belt, but yours will swap on.

    A '08-up will physically bolt-in, but you will have lots of plumbing changes, and will need ALL the later ancillary stuff, wiring, ECM, voltage regulator, larger oil cooler, etc.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    '03-'07 are bolt-in easy replacements. The '03 and some early '04 will have a different final drive pulley for the small belt, but yours will swap on.

    A '08-up will physically bolt-in, but you will have lots of plumbing changes, and will need ALL the later ancillary stuff, wiring, ECM, voltage regulator, larger oil cooler, etc.
    Great news! That really helps with my search for a replacement engine. I noticed my Ulys have a different "Thunderstorm" logo on them (and a slightly different shaped timing cover) than the older XB's I was seeing. I didn't know if that translated to other differences that may hinder a swap.


    Last edited by motoguy; 09-16-2023 at 09:54 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •