Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 09 ECM solution or symptom

I'm kinda feeling a bit of deja-vu here... ECU replacement cleaned up my Uly that was dealing with it's own ignition cut out issues. IDS noted cracks starting on my connectors as well when I asked them to diag it. They are SUPER easy to deal with, highly recommend buying from them.

Also, show me this alternative bracket...

Thanks barrett,

1-Tim dismissed the crack. they are heavily potted in urethane and twisting it around doesn't alter live data or any of the pissy running. I agree, When I found it I was content that standing on the seat in the past might have yielded this result. ( I just don't want to throw a ecm at a bad ignition coil or chaffed wire )

2-I hated red when I bought it, I still hate the red today. I have a mostly complete set of yellow plastics and some day I will swap them out. ( Buells went fast when they announced, I could not find anything but red)

3-I mumble when I talk, I was pointing out the fuel pump cycles as it should on a key reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Barretts right. You're going to need a new ECM anyway:
    https://idspd.com/xcart/

The combination of a Uly and a low seat will put pressure on the ECM and crack it. You can do the ol' Play-Doh trick to know for sure. There is a bracket available to relocate it if you don't want to cobble one yourself.

Looks and sounds like the ignition circuit is overloading and rhythmically cutting out. I'm not aware of a circuit breaker in that system. Did someone replace the fuse with a self resetting circuit breaker? Can you feel the IGN relay clicking on and off while this happens? Is it corroded? It would explain a lot, including the lack of codes.
    This bike is sickening stock, I want a little more grumble, but I fought a loose muffler on a lightning and I am waiting for an excuse to mess with this bike. this is the only thing I have ever been able to buy new and It is just what a bike should be. so I leave it alone.

I agree on the rythmic loading idea, I am wondering if the O2 sensors are fed from the ignition circuit, If they are ignored during warm up, that would bring a rythmic fault in after a period of time while cold, and a shorter period of time while warm.

Ill get a ECM coming and take another tour of the wiring to make sure something is not chaffed. something blew that fuse. I only blew a fuse one other time and that was in 11' when I thought i could go 40 miles on the fuel light...... the fuel pump did not think that was funny.

Thanks Kurlon, I was very happy when i hung up the phone with them, I am going to order a ecm maybe they can fatten up the mid a bit, this thing either likes throttle or brakes, just trying to potato potato at a steady speed is not his idea of fun. anyone got a muffler in mind that is not straight rude?

IMO, Drummers have a nice adult volume, low rumble

It's not the O2 sensor. Theres no part of that circuit that will kill an engine. It is a single wire non-heated unit and is seen (but ignored) during the warm-up cycle. Technically open loop because its reading off a pre-set map and not referring to the O2 for adjustments until the engine (and the sensor) are both warm.

I would totally agree that a new ECM is the first choice I would make. Cheap, and you know you need one anyway. Report back once you put it in and get a good test ride in

good news and bad news.

I was able to get my hands on a good 08 ECM. Put it in. bike starts runs and does the exact same thing.

the good news is my fan is back as i recall it being. ( so this confirms the Bad ecm idea ) got a couple things in front of this $430 item but, I will be upgrading the box. the muffler is staying put. for now.

the bad news is it threw a code 21 this time around and I am starting to lean towards a coil or ignition related item that is failing and temperature related.

I am up loading a video that shows the exhaust actuator cycling when it throws its hissy fit. that is not always present so I might look for a chaffed wire on the throttle position sensor.

so I am going to put the bike back up on its strut and put the fan back in. temp sensor ohms out fine each time but I may put the new one in for grins as I need to put the loom back in place.

I appreciate the ideas, I feel it is temperature related as today was 46 degrees when I was doing my first run and it took over 11 minutes to get to condition, so that is consistant with my crazy thoughts.

I intend to put my old ecm into my friends bike and see how his reacts. I am betting tim is correct and it will run fine. ( im mostly doing it to see how his fan reacts)

after a brief google session I found lots of blown fuse chat in relation to code 21. indeed, the acutator is cycling with a full throttle then key on process. so it works. However, while letting the bike run to reaffirm the fan situation that i am hung up on . it went into a stumble situation of tach dip, cel and recover, and every time it did it the actuator cycles. ( it does not always do that ) so I will be digging in a bit deeper on the conditions that tell the actuator to move.

for the conversation the cable is free and I hear the difference in exhaust note when the cable is moved. ( so its moving inside freely as well. I did have that blown lights fuse at the beginning of this debacle, It does nohttps://youtu.be/kIdr6CRVMhst blow them know But I bet its related.

https://youtu.be/kIdr6CRVMhs
    Last edited by redsqwrl; 10-16-2023 at 11:18 PM. Reason: i like waffles

The actuator isn't causing the ignition cut, the ignition cut is causing the actuator to cycle.

Put a spark tester in line, are you losing spark?

A CPS will fail with heat, try a hair dryer or heat gun to try and replicate the hot issue with a cold engine?

throw a code?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The actuator isn't causing the ignition cut, the ignition cut is causing the actuator to cycle.

Put a spark tester in line, are you losing spark?

A CPS will fail with heat, try a hair dryer or heat gun to try and replicate the hot issue with a cold engine?
    would the cam position or crank position throw a code if the ignition was misfiring?

Possibly, but Buell ECM's are 20+ year old design and still pretty rudimentary. Besides, "codes" aren't ever a solution, they are just a clue to help with the same exact proper diagnostic steps you should be doing, even without them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast