Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: strange noise..

03' xb9s 53000 kms. Strange noise coming from Engine. It sounds like a bearing and it's there anytime engine is running. I know the usual noises... humming from fuel pump, clickity clack from valve train, etc.
    This noise is worrysome. most noticeable when idling( probably due to less exhaust noise) seems to come from bottom end of engine or poss primary side. Sounds like bad bearing not knocking.
    Started after hiway riding with passenger to a bike rally and back. Approx 1 hr each way. Went about 150km/hr the whole time. Bike runs fine and i change my oil and trans fluid.
    I appreciate any input before I bring it to the dealer, i'm an automotive tech and try to do my own work when i can. Are these bikes notorious or infamous for something letting go, or a bearing going out when this many kms have been put on? Thanks again, Chris

Try adjusting the Primary Chain via the Manual.

Thanks for the input, but i performed this earlier this year. Before adjustment the bike would surge during low speed/low throttle situations. I called it the herky jerky and it felt like a loose chain. It was! I downloaded the manual from this site, Thanks again guys! Bringing the bike to a local shop this morning, i'll report any findings or bad news..

I was wondering mine seems to have some timing chain rattle in it.
    I also did the primary and sevral oil changes it doesn't seem to be getting worse but how much is exceptable chain noise?

I don't recall hearing any noticeable chain noise from the primary myself.. maybe some of the veteran buell guys could help. BTW no news yet on mystery noise, it's still at the shop.
    :p

Local bike shop thinks crank bearing are on the way out.. Said all was well in the primary side. So I dumped the oil and found more bad news on the drain plug.
    Any ideas? thanks for the input guys, it's always appreciated! Chris

Tried to upload photo of drainplug but it's not working right now... There's lots of metal stuck to the magnet.

Need to see the pics, but some metal on the drain plug magnet is normal.

timing chain?

these are pushrod motors.

I've seen the normal amount of metal on the drain plug but this is way too much. It's more like schrapnel. these metal flakes could have part numbers on them.
    Didn't take anything else apart, but would like to remove cover on right side to see the cam gears. Do i have to remove the header to take the cover off?
    Sending to the dealer next week for a more thorough inspection and at least get a repair quote so i know where i'm at. I"ll post the findings..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast