Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XB9S Motor Uses

XB9S Motor Uses

I was lucky enough to notice an XB9S motor being sold near me for local pickup only on ebay. I submitted an offer and won it for $250. I have no ideas if the motor is any good, or the mileage on it, but since I have an XB9 I thought it might come in handy.

Firstly, are there any parts that I might want to harvest and keep? I hear the front isolators are getting hard to find, so I'll check if it is there and in good condition.

Secondly, how might I determine the age of the motor?

Any other tips or suggestions on what to do with it are welcome.

Absolute steal @ $250.
    XB engines do NOT have a VIN. They only have a serial number
    XB """""""" serial number stamped into flat pad on left side toward front

The last 6 digits on the engine serial # will have matched the last 6 digits on whatever XB it was removed from

FIFTH DIGIT of the engine number is the model year of the XB it was installed into

Just got it home.
    PXL_20240312_165507127.jpg

PXL_20240312_165546538.jpg

Looks like this is the engine code:

PXL_20240312_172050642.MP.jpg

SX123452125

Is that an '05 City X?

If so, it's a perfect match for my bike. What are the odds...
    Last edited by c3powil; 03-12-2024 at 05:40 PM.

The odds are apparently 100% based on this sample size of 1.

We'll... true enough!

After comparing with the vin on my 05 City X, it looks to be from an '03 Lightning. I took Barrett's info to mean that the 5th number in the engine code was the year number, but he meant the 5th character, letters included.

SX = Lightning
    KX = City X

So it's not a perfect match, but I don't think there are any differences in these motors, anyway. Are there?

Regardless, I see the front and rear isolators are present and look in decent condition, so I'm going to pull and keep those. Not sure what else I may need and what I'm going to part out. If it were an '06 I would probably pull the oil pump drive gear, but this one has the weaker version, so I'll leave it.

AGAIN:
    When it comes to Serial Numbers and Vehicle Identification Numbers....American manufacturers seldom, if ever, use vernacular such as "letters" and "numbers". Most always "digit" and in the Harley Davidson production world....always "digit".

Your engine serial number breaks down as follows: SX123452125

SX12----Wauwatosa, WI DRIVETRAIN MANUFACTURING FACILITY SEQUENCING NUMBER
    3---2003 MODEL YEAR FOR BUELL MOTORCYCLE
    2125---INSTALLED IN THE 2125TH BUELL BUILT THAT MODEL YEAR
    INSTALLED IN EITHER A LIGHTNING.....FIREBOLT....LIGHTLING LOW(SL)
    984CC DISPLACEMENT

PS-I'm using my digits to type this.

Thanks Barrett.

As it happens, I already have a spare set of headers and a race muffler. Then I found this decent looking XB9R fuel tank/frame on Facebook marketplace for $250 shipped to me, including the clear title, and can add an ECU for $100...

You guys thinking what I'm thinking? A full XB9R build. I have nowhere near the experience or know-how to do this, but that clearly isn't a deterrent for me. How difficult of a task are we looking at here? Doing a "from scratch" bike build like this has always been a dream of mine. Could I accomplish this on a sub $1500 budget?

I suppose first I need to check compression and see if this motor is even worth the effort.
    Last edited by c3powil; 03-13-2024 at 05:30 PM.

You can get an Endoscope that wi-fi connects to your phone for about $25. Stick it down the spark plug holes and see whats what.

Boom, done. Like I needed another excuse to buy one of these. I got one with the screen built in, because I'd rather drop a $40 gadget in the garage than my (admittedly cheap, but still relatively expensive) cell phone.

I'll check it out after work later. I assume what I'm looking for is cracks, holes, etc in the pistons, or large gouges in the cylinder walls?

Yep. You should be able to screenshot and post them too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast