Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best gear for the money?

Hi, for awhile I've been riding with just jeans, my helmet and a shirt. I've tried a leather jacket a few times and it works great at night but in the day I get so damn hot it's hard to concentrate. But yesterday I was ridin and a car started to pull out in front of me, then went to a TOTAL stop like he/she was letting me go, and then just pulled right back in front of me so I panicked, locked up the front tire and was 99% positive my ass was going to be skidding on the pavement but I realized i screwed up and managed to save it about 3 feet from the guys hood. All in probably a second and some change, and it felt like it too. So yeah, getting that close definitely made me want to get some real gear, but my in tact ass is on the broke side so I'm wondering what gear is the most affordable that will still (help) save my skin. Thanks a ton on this one.

all you have to do is buy a harley or a piss ant little jap bike because i believe that with every one of those bikes sold you get for free "kevlar skin". I am yet to find a 250cc japper or a harley rider that didn't get "kevlar skin" with their purchase.For those less fortunate go to a bike store and chat to the salesman and get some cow skin that maybe last years style or a poor seller.They are usually on special and remember 10 dollar helmet for a 10 dollar head.

For most of my riding, I wear an Icon TiMax textile jacket ($50 ebay) and some Icon Recon kevlar jeans ($60 ebay) with Alpinestar One-O-One shoes ($100 at the shop) and some Cortech gloves ($60 on sale). The jacket is a little warm when stopped, but not bad and with the vents open, it's cool as soon as you start moving.

I am 6'4" so finding track pants on the cheap has been a challenge. I like good gear, I just don't like spending a ton of money. I wait for sales, check online, same basic stuff.

<edit> If you have a Cycle Gear near you, they have good prices on the Frank Thomas gear.

Check ebay for deals like jimmy dean said, also try kneedraggers.com. Even if you don't end up buying from them, they have just about everything so you can see the prices. Their prices are usually pretty damn good too.

New Enough is also a good place to check for prices.

I am 6'4"
    WOW U must make ur XB LOOK SMALLL! I let my buddy ride mine when I test rode the CR. He's 6'2 and dwarfed my bike.

Anyway not to thread jack so. Ebay is the best place to find cheap gear. Also cragslist is great cuzz u can really check out what u get b4 u buy it. I also wear an Icon TimaxII and its a great jacket for summer. Definetly get gloves and sturdy leather boots that cover ur ankle.

Good luck Bro!

I ride with Shift boots, Shift Kevlar jeans, Shift Jacket, and they all run about $100 each which is pretty good considering Icon gear is twice that. Oh and Alpinestars CF knuckle gloves.

I just picked these for $35 and free shipping off ebay =D I needed new gloves so bad.

Man, those gloves are way nicer than mine.

The first thing my wife said when I brought the Buell home was "It looks like a kids bike under you". I was surprised to see it was damn near a half foot shorter then my R1 when I had them both in the truck.

Hey,
    since I crashed some years ago with my 80cc Suzuki I decided to wear proper protective gear by most of my rides - and that means jacket,pants, gloves and motorcycle boots - mainly leather for spring & summertime and textile for Fall.
    I also dedided that if I need new gear I´ll safe money before doing that and then only buy "high"quality products - no more "junk" stuff.
    I bought some cheap jacket once and after wearing it 3x the zipper failed and I had to get it fixed for much money.
    Back in Feb. I was lucky enough to buy a "Vanson" Jacket(the Buell one of course) and I´ll for sure purchase the "matching" pants in the upcomming months.
    Right now I also got an Arlen Ness pant and some old school leather bib which I inherited from my Dad. Helmet´s a Shoei and Boots are from "Daytona".
    Life´s to short to wear flip flops and muscle shirts on a bike. ;);)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast