Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Guys got another question......

Hi everyone,thanks for all the advice so far.
    I went on my 200 mile journey to see a buell thats not on a computer screen and i have to say.......Sweet!they are so cool!

The staff at the Harley store were great a few of them ride Buells,so very helpful.However while I was Drooling and getting giddy over the prospect of getting a bike soon I forgot to ask them about the difference in size between the ulysses & the xb12ss..
    they had lots of ulys but no xb12ss.

looking on the buell site they look very close in seat to footpeg height and also the length,so if the uly was perfect would the xb12ss also fit well????

In case u didn't read my other Q's I am 6'7"

any body now about the difference and how close it is????

Thanks all.

Jekyll:)

I am going to say that the Uly is quite a bit taller. For a guy your height I would suggest the the Uly simply because I am 5'9" and ride an SS and I find my knees are getting sore form my leg angle. At the same time, I have only been riding the bike for less than a week, so I prolly have some "breaking in" to do of my own, so...! But seriously, check out the Uly, seems to be a pretty sweet bike!

To tell you the truth, at 5'10", I bought a Firebolt and the main reason I didn't buy the Uly is because of my height. My XB12R purchase was, as my 'name' suggests, a midlife crisis based decision. My all too practical side dictated that the Uly was a smarter purchase not the least reason being comfort, but coming from Harleys the Firebolt's height took a bit getting used to. The Uly was just too high for my tastes so at the NBA altitude you posses I would surely go with the Uly. Just my opinion. Enjoy whatever Buell you do buy though, I know you will.

In my experience the Ulysses is allot bigger then the Lightning long. Even though the stats on Buell.com only show the seat height being 1.3 inches taller, I would say it is more. Two other things to look at is peg placement and handlebar height. The pegs on the Ulysess are lower then the Lightning long, adding more leg room to stretch out. On the lightning your legs will be more behind you and bent up. You will be more comfortable on the Ulysses. As for Handlebars, the Ulysses are high and wider then the lightning. On the lightning you are more bent over with more weight on your wrists. It is not as extreme as a firebolt but more aggressive then the Ulysses.

If you have seen a Ulysses next to a Lightning you know the Ulysses looks like a monster compared to its little brother. Its huge. The lightning long only stretches out the the wheelbase by around 5 inches from the lightning. The seat height is virtually unchanged. I found very little difference between a lightning long and regular lightning when I rode both of them.

I am going with the Ulysses because of my size. 6'4" 230. You are bigger then me, so I have a hard time seeing you being comfortable on a lightning. But it all comes down to personal preference.

Check out the Lightning SuperTT, forgot about that one

Even though the stats on Buell.com only show the seat height being 1.3 inches taller
    1.3" can make a huge difference.

You're going to look like a Shriner in a parade on a bike smaller than the Ulysses.

I'm 5"10" and ride the Uly with the lowered seat. It's still a tall bike for me, but I'm very comfortable on it. With your substantially longer legs, you're going to need the room. Shorter bikes will decrease the angle at which your knees are bent, which will look totally bitchin' if you're wanting to look like a professional racer, but will KILL (I said kay eye ell ell) your legs over any kind of distance.

These guys might be able to help you, as well: http://www.tallclub.co.uk/reviews/in...=3&action=view

thanks possumcowboy,after a lot of thought i have decided on the uly.
    i can't get it yet as my wife recently was hit side on in her car.insurance fighting over fault so we had to buy new car........there goes the bike money!
    once it is sorted (hopefully not to long)i can get my uly.

funny when you have connections how much you can get away with....the other driver hit my wife after 2 cars in front of her had turned left on a green arrow.!said she was sneezing and didn't see the if the light was red or not.
    parents are linked to some cops and other city peeps so she didn't even get a ticket!
    i think it is all b.s.....!
    let the attorney sort it now.

ahh venting is good!:)

Jekyll

The lightning long only stretches out the the wheelbase by around 5 inches from the lightning
    According to their website the wheelbase is stretched by 2 inches, not 5. It is the overall length that is 5" longer, and the other 3" would have to be in the tailpiece since they use same tires and wheels. Uly's wheelbase is essentially the same as the Long. Nonetheless @ 6'7" your still gonna want the Uly unless it's just not your type of bike and you don't take long rides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast