Thread: Burn! Baby Buell, Burn!

I posted this already in the mod's section but it should prob be here:

So I just got my Buell xb12s couple months ago and I ride it a lot. It's my only vehicle; no car what so ever. I can average about 1000 miles a month and plan to take it across the country. Just noticed and read that they tend to guzzle oil, especially the way I ride it. Up to a quart every 1k. Will modifying the stock crank case breather help keep this more manageable and what after market parts would you guys suggest. Thanks for the help!

check this for info: oilpump_info

dunno bout the oilguzzle, don't have that problem.

My only suggestion is maybe you didn't break in your bike proper. If your rings did not seat, through proper procedures you will get oil blow-by beyond your piston rings. Even so, you never know with a hog motor. My guess is your a ruffian? And that's o.k. Get it checked before you write a check. Ride hard-ride safe!

I don't know, those break in procedures are pretty lame...I am off the belief of breaking the bike in hard! I followed the book (mostly) but next time I would go the hard way (I forget the guy who explains it but it's out there).
    But, you shouldn't be burning through oil too fast, yours sounds exterem (but I'm no mechanic). Make sure you're doing hot checks and not cooled checks, for myself, when I check cold it reads quite a bit lower than when hot! If thats not the case then yes forsure get it checked out...don't be afraid to ask questions at your dealer, they SHOULD be the experts! Unfortunatly it seems for most guys on here, their dealers don't know much bout Buells, so for that...thats why all of us are here!

especially the way I ride it. Up to a quart every 1k
    Anrusso,
    My 03 XB9s can consume that amount of oil when I take long 80 to 100 mph rides. However, when I take it easy it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. It might be wise to start tracking your oil consumption and looking for trends that might coincide with your different riding habits. At least that way you will be able to predict your oil needs for your x-country rides.

we'll good to see I got some response. I'd almost given up. Figured no one wanted to get into this can of worms. Well, from what I can tell, the seals weren't full seated yet. Talked to the two previous owners who had assured me they babied it. No hard riding. Got some other advice and seems I was wrong to assume that 1500 mi would be plenty for break in under these conditions. Switched it to synthetic and kinda lost my mind when I saw all the oil consumption, which now I realize was to be expected. Two days of hard riding later and the consumption is much less. I think soon I'll be all in the clear. Hope you guys didn't loose any sleep over it. HA! MrOrange thanks for your advice. And Yes assfalt, I am a ruffian, but I am also meticulous about the proper tuning and care of such a beautiful machine. I only expect from it what it should be eager to provide. I also would like to note that the dealer mechanics seem to know whats going on, but if you talk to the service guys there just a bunch of stupid Harley cronies looking out for their own pockets. Agreed?

STUPID MECHANIC!
    here's an update if anyone is still reading this thread. After riding today, started to hear rumbles from the primary. Shifting got stiff and the bike was loosing power. Checked the transmission fluid level and the oil started pouring out of the access panel. Seems the mechanic doesn't know how to replace the seal properly and all that oil I've been loosing has been dumping into the transmission. Lesson: Do your own work on your bike or bring it to someone who cares, cause I know at least the dealer I go to doesn't! At least my problem is finally solved.

good thing you saw it, hopefully before any damage was done...