Thread: Starting hesitation - 2008 XB12scg

I have had this bike for about 4 weeks, and so far have fouled a plug on my initial startup (not knowing what not to do while starting Buell bikes). A terrible running performance was fixed by the dealer as a bad exhaust valve actuator.

Now I have a small delay between the time I hit the starter button (the click heard immediately) and before the starter motor starts to turn. The bike does promptly fire up with no problems. I have re-charged the battery completely twice. On a freshly charged battery, I notice a slight improvement in the starter response time, but only marginally. The volt-meter reading on ECMSpy shows 12.2v and on the multi-meter hooked directly to battery shows 12.7v and the volt meter climbs to 13.8 at idle.

Could someone shed some light on this problem for a novice? Could it be bad battery, or the stator not putting out enough to charge the battery? Or possibly starter motor/solenoid going bad? I am planning on taking the battery to a local autopart store to be checked.

I have experienced Brit, Jap, German, and even Czech bikes, but the Buell is one American Beauty. I found myself frequenting the garage just to admire this bike. And thanks to many fellow enthusiasts who have responded to my earlier posts.

that is normal...

it's due to the cylinder being in compression cycle.

it is 600cc per cylinder, so it's alot more compared to a 4banger.

In the beginning I thought it was a problem too because my battery was going bad. Then I changes the battery and it was still the same. Yeah, it's normal.

Thanks folks! and much relieved.