Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what's the story on the race kit?

In spite of the strong language in the owner's manual telling me not to buy this for street use, I'm going to do it because I'm a big boy and I do pretty much whatever the hell I want!! So how much difference does this make? We're talking about the kit that changes out the chip, muffler and air filter, right? Is it a serious difference, or is it not worth the money? Does anyone know the difference in HP and torque?

Thanks

The gains you see can range from 7-10% at the rear tire on 9's or 12's. As far as putting one on, they are still very street-able and actually makes them more fun. I drive my XB9R to work every day and I have had a race kit on it since the second day I owned it. I love it. The thing is now though, you can't really find them anymore. I have to hunt all over the U.S. to find them at another dealer so I can sell them over the counter. I know some aftermarket sites have the set ups too, so I would try there also. Let me know if you want me to find you one.... :D lol

Administrator
    BPG, try these guys for race kits and tons of other Buell goodies.
    Use Force - Buell Goodies

Well, a call to the local Harley/Buell dealer confirms that the kits are hard to find! Luckily, they've got a muffler, a nearby dealer has a chip, and apparently the air filter can still be ordered from Buell. Funny, the chip is still advertised on their web site but you supposedly can't get it. So anyway, my bike's going in Wednesday to get the kit. This bike, stock as it is, has enough power that when I accelerate full-throttle the front end comes off the ground when I hit about 4,000 rpm. If it's a bit cold out, it comes off the ground high enough that I'm sure it'll flip over backward if I don't let off the throttle. And yet I need more power. Is this a great country, or what? :D

Gunfreak when you piece them together I think it is a little more expensive, but its gettin to the point where thats what has to be done to get them anymore. The only things they still offer as normal is the ECM and the air filter. They do not sell them as kits anymore. The K&N filter is actually a few bucks cheaper than the Buell unit.

Thanks buellxb, for the info on the site. I will be able to refer them to that site now also because I was only able to find one other site that had them readily in stock. Thats one thing that sucks as a dealer is I can't buy from aftermarket places like that and still have it practical. If I did end up having to get one from them I would have to buy it at their retail and then sell it for more so our company can make some money also. I don't like to sell people marked up ****, so I just refer them to places like that and then still offer to install them as if they had bought it here. I think Buell guys get a hard enough time finding people with parts and to get them to work on them, I try to give them a break as often as I can....

can you remap the stock box on buells I know the big v twins are allowing you to do that without having to buy a power commander or dfo ect ect

I am not sure, but I will find out.....

As of yet there is no way to remap the stock ignition box. I don't know what is taking them so long to come up with a set up like the big twins have. I don't think there was as great of a demand as with the big twins, hence the reason we have so many problems finding parts for our Buells. With the introduction of FI on the Sportster line, I hope this will change it a bit!

Yeah considering they are putting almost an identical fuel injection on the XR1200. It has the air box cover like a Buell mimicing the fuel tank. Still pretty sweet though.

from what i see with my buddys who ride jap ..there downloading other maps off the net and down loading into there power commander..but dont get nearly the same bang as getting a custom map with a dyno tune ..seen a few dyno tune runs on the net with buells gaining 15 t0 20 lbs of torque between 3000 to 4500 rpm..now thats big....hp improve a little but the largest gain was in the torque numbers...brought there torque in the high 70s close to 78

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast