Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tail Chop....what to use?

Not a dremel. I used a Matco wiz wheel, and a small Matco die grinder with a sanding wheel.

One of the perks of being a auto tech and having $20k in tools is always having the right tool for my personal projects ;)

Super Moderator
    Sounds like you have too many tools, even. I'll be nice and take some off of your hands.

aww man , they are like my little children! id be lost without them.

I used a portaban saw and angle grinder with flap sand disc wheels. I rattle canned it silver to get close to matching the stock seat rails, but plan on powder coating everything during the winter.

I used a cut off wheel.. My buddy used a hack saw and file!! That stuff cuts like budda

Super Moderator
    Thanks for all the help guys.

Any of you know if an '07 XB12Ss tail will fit onto an '09? There's one for sale on eBay, and if the guy is willing to take a lower offer I might just pick it up and do the tail chop on that unit first.

Thanks again.

I recommend you don't use any kind of abrasive wheel since the tail section is Aluminum. Soft metals pack onto abrasive wheels and conduct heat over what the disc can take. They explode and little dremel wheels hurt like a bitch, you don't want a full size grinder wheel blowing up. Not to mention it ruins the wheel for further use.

The best tool to lop off the excess right to start with is a sabersaw, hacksaw, or bandsaw. After that, use powersanders with high-grit paper such as 60, 80, or 100 grit to shape the new tail. Finally, sand up to a relatively high grit 320-400 removing deep scratches. Finally prime and paint, or have it powdercoated.

i did mine and documented the whole thing with pics of every step and it only took about 3 hours once i had it off the bike.

i used an angle grinder with a zip disc to start, then a grinder disc to take off the little pieces left behind and then a sanding disc to make it all smooth.I finished it off with a rattle can of bed liner paint. it has a high rubber content so i find it to be very durable and it has a cool bumpy finish that will cover any imperfections

i re used the stock signals for now and just re drilled holes once it was all back on the bike

if anyone knows where to save pics so i can add them to a post in the do it yourself section let me know

if anyone wants the pics let me know and i can e mail them

Super Moderator
    I'm always up for more info Jimmy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast