Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 03 low idle rough running

hello i have a lightning that is idling at about 750-800rpm will not adjust up. i do have ecm spy and checked faults and found 02 always lean found back exhaust loose re tightened clamp. and reset tps still low rough idle. also throttle response slow and stumbly. i did test drive afterward no faults returned.

Sounds like the idle adjuster cable is shot.

thanks for the info, but when i adjust the cable in the engine stutters and wants to stall so i cleaned batt cables (seen other running probs from loose cables/dirty) and pulled rear plug it looks fouled kind of weird for an iridium plug so im going to order a new plug today at work and let everyone know how that works.

bad spark at the rear cylinder caused extra vibration which could probably be the cause of your rear header coming loose.

still need the cause of why you're getting bad spark.
    i would measure the resistance in the rear plug-cable.

well didn't get the plug napa didn't want to split up a set of 4 plugs. so maybe next week it will get fixed now i have to get the KTM packed up for a long weekend on the dunes at rocksprings wy.

well finally got my plugs in platinum not iridium (some how you can split up platinum but not iridium). so now i have to switch both cylinders oh well the good news i only paid like two bucks a plug (the plus of being a tech)

btw iridiums or platinums may be better for some things, but there is NOTHING WRONG with running the OEM plugs: cheap, and plenty of Buells run them just fine. OK, maybe they might foul more easily than iridiums, but still...

for the record, I have ngk iridiums, but I just wanted to point this out - no need for anyone to keep their bike off the road just because iridiums have to be special-ordered.

I went to auto zone for ngk's - in stock, sold per plug, around $7.00. And I'm in ruralsville, w/ limited options for parts 'n stuff.

i understand what your saying, but i was having a problem with the napa guys not splitting up a set of 4 plugs even after i told them i have a 2cyl bike they had both sets in stock but for some reason wouldnt split the iridium set

They're just being buttheads, O'reilly's split the 4 pack for me with no qualms.

replaced both plugs and charged battery up good started it up and it still runs very rough and low idle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast