Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike Cover Fabric Burned onto Front Exhaust Header

I just purchased a new-to-me 2004 Buell Lightning 12XS. Had it towed from the previous owner's home to my apartment as the registration was expired. We brought it off the tow vehicle, I started the bike and rode it into the parking garage. Covered it with a polyester/cotton bike cover. Came out a few hours later, removed the cover and saw that some of the fabric had burned into the front header pipe. I've tried everything I have to remove the stain (3 diff metal polishes, engine brightner, Protectol, SOS pad, Simple Green, Acetate liquid) but nothing has worked. Does anyone have a suggestion. Would love to get this cosmetic blemish off the header pipe. I have an HD Dyna which has chrome head shields and I start the bike and bring it into the garage all the time after cleaning and cover it without a problem. I didn't take into consideration that the Buell (obviously) doesn't have heat shields, therefore the pipes are going to radiate heat really fast. Another of those Live and Learn situations. Thanks for any help. This is my first Buell and I'm looking forward to the Buell experience.

Thanks
    David
    Los Angeles

You could wrap them with header wrap. Or get a heat resistant cover.

Try airplane stripper.
    Get it at an autoparts store... or a propane torch and burn it off.

try scotch brite

ride about 30min to hour,,,should burn off

Yeah what 07bolt said. I had a cover burn to my exhaust. Waited for it to stop smoking and then a little more time after a few rides. It had turned to ash. I could wipe it away. To my surprise, that spot on my headers is now the best looking spot. Wish I could do it everywhere without creating a smoke shield.

LOL,,i hung my backpack on the handlebar, lit up a smoke, started my bike,,,halfway thru the smoke i chunked it. put my helmet on, put on my backpack,,,and something was still smoking??? after (roughly) 2 min, the header melted thru the straps,buckle & coat inside the backpack. :( but eventually burned off to ashes. :)

Fine steel wool. I've done it too.

Oh man I got a collection of materials burned on my header. Not my fault that they are on the side of the bike instead of underneath haha

I did simlar thing,started engine tossed my jacket over windscreen (so I thought!) saw smoke and asumed it was the clutch cable again. I was pissed! I just had my headers replaced not more than a couple of weeks at that point. Macbuell is totally right it is shiner than the rest. If it never turns blue again I'm going to melt the rest of my jacket instead of have ceramic coated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast