Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, im new and am experiencing a problem

Hello everyone, i am a new owner of a 2003 xb9s and i havent had it for too long, but i have been experiencing a little problem. I live in Arizona and it gets pretty hot, would it be possible for my bike to be overheating because of the weather and it not being able to sufficiently cool itself? Sometimes when i ride it, it acts fine, but when i go to shut it off and turn it back on, it doesnt want to idle. The rpms will just drop and it dies. I will have to give it gas so that it doesnt die. If i ride it, it will bog and i can feel it blowing something in the intake area. Possibly miss fire? The bike is stock and has 4600 miles. If any body has any idea what could be the problem, that would help me soo much, thanks!

aslong as your oil-level is ok, the chance of overheating is minimum.

how long has it been since you had a tps reset?
    do you have a breather reroute?
    when was your last service?
    does you fan run regularly?

welcome ;)

Thanks for your response, the fan runs fine after i shut it off, i dont think it has ever had a tps reset, ill have to look into that and it is a stock bike so the breather reroute is very unlikely. Im am unsure of when it was last serviced, but i hope to get it done soon. I hope i didnt buy a bad motorcycle, that would be terrible.

the fact that your fan runs, only when shut down, means that you are certainly not overheating the engine.

seeing that it's a 2003 and it has low mileage, i would suggest doing
    - fuel line cleaning
    - a complete service (full syn oil, new plugs, filters, etc...always good to know what your bike is running on)
    - resetting tps
    - a decent learn-in ride

see what happens after that...

Hello mate.
    I live in vegas and have been having the same problem. I was having an oil leak at the time and took it in to HD. I brought this up to them and from what i was told is that the bike heats back up again after the fan shuts off and when you start again it dumps a whole bunch of fuel in to help cool down the bike on starting. Not sure how true this is and i don't know any better about this stuff.
    Like you its been getting in to the 115s+..... it normally took about 6 to 10 mins before it got back to normal but i would have to twist the throttle a bit to stop it from stalling.
    Cooling down now and i also put the NGKDCPR9IEX plugs in and its been running better... then again its took damn hot to ride.

if its trying to die then there is no combustion at the plugs. check plugs for fouling (NGK is the way to go) also check ur idle control cable (could have been mis-adjusted) Running hot+no idle (check out O2 sensor,Engine temp & Intake air temp sensors. u might even check for codes too. http://www.bcrider.com/DDFI.html :)

Welcome to the Forum K. Here's the New Bueller Info link which includes the Breather-reroute link in it.

Sorry im late for responding. I did an oil change and changed out the air filter to a k&n. I havent checked the plugs yet. I did the engine breather last week and it seemed to run fine, up until today. I got on to the freeway for the second time, coming back from where i was headed and the engine light comes on. I was goin around 80. I also hear the fan come on, and it stayed on for a good 10 mins after i got off the highway. Its about 100 degrees today, which is nothing compared to what it can normally get. The fan went off, eventually, but the light remained on and it was running very boggy and died a couple times. Im pretty confident the engine is running hot, but i will deffinitely get it to a shop to get looked at.

What altitude is your area?

- what oil did you use and how did you measure it?
    - did you change the oil filter?

- how about fuel, which did you use?
    - did you use the fuel line cleaner?
    a lean running engine also causes overheating. changing to a k&n filter is not a good choice if that is the case?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast