Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XB12R Exhaust Header Mounting Studs

My Beautiful Buell is out of commission... Help! :)

So one of the studs that holds the front header into the exhaust port on the front cylinder has sheared off! I am in the process of drilling it out to use an extractor but so far it doesn't seem to want to budge! I know that drilling all the way to the bottom can help loosen it up so it'll come out, but I don't know how far the bottom of the stud is and I don't want to drill into the aluminum cylinder head. Does anyone know how deep the threaded holes for these stud go into the head?

ok... new problem... :(

drilled about 3/4 inch into the stud, figured that should be far enough for it to loosen up, and broke the extractor off in the hole. I'm pretty sure that drilling through the hardened steel of that extractor is going to be impossible. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this thing out?

I'm starting through the process of doing an engine rotate so I can pull the head off. Is this my best bet or does anyone have any suggestions on an easier way to get this stud out? My guess is that I'm going to have to drill the entire hole out larger and put a solid insert into it. ??

Oh I think you have made a mess now!
    I had the same problem as you. I was told not to use the extractors, they dont work. I am not sure if it will still work, but your best bet is to buy a Jims tool. Its a special jig that fits over the good stud and exhaust port. Then it has a hole on the other side to allow you to drill the entire stud out straight. Then you just need to run a tap through to clean the threads. I did it,and it worked like a charm.
    They are about $100 bucks, but well worth the money. I am not sure if you are too far gone now though. Post some pics and let us know what it looks like. Are you sure you drilled straight? Its almost impossible without the tool, or taking the head off and putting it on a mill.

I'm literally one step (the front isolator mount) from rotating the engine down and pulling the head off. It's pretty boogered up in there now. Once that extractor broke off, all my efforts to drill any more just walked off the extractor and had me drilling in the very thin amount of the stud that was left. I ended up with some of the drill bit cutting into the aluminum of the hole.

I'm going to pull the head off and take to a buddy's that has a drill press and see if we can get a drill to bore down through it straight. I think I'm pretty well down to 3 possible fixes.
    1. If I can get the drill press to bore a hole one size larger than the stud, I'll put a solid threaded insert in and be done with it.
    2. Take it to a machine shop and see if they can do anything with it.
    3. replace the head.

hey... while I'm at it...

BPG...
    can you help me with a couple part numbers and prices?

1. The stud (front exhaust header mounting stud)
    2. the nuts (Front Exhaust header mounting nuts) - (one went with the sheared off stud, the other worked it's way off and that's how I found the problem to begin with)
    3. Cylinder head assembly (I guess I should get it with valves already inserted since I don't really have the tools to do that)
    4. Anything else you think (based on the above conversation) that I might need.

I appreciate the help.

I dont think getting another head will be necessary.
    If you can get it drilled out straight you can put a helicoil in and it should be fine. I have heard about others doing that with no ill effects.
    Sorry its gone this far, at least you will know for next time. Those studs are a real PITA to get out without the right tools.

ok... so I'm thinking machine shop is going to be my only chance of salvaging this head. Judging by the looks of the combustion chamber, I'm thinking they need to be cleaned up anyways... any thoughts?

hey BPG... R U MIA? Still need some PN's and prices if you don't mind.
    Going to need:
    . head gaskets (are these sold singly or in pairs?)
    . Throttle Body > Head gaskets
    . exhaust port gaskets
    . Plugs (anyone have aftermarket recomendations here?)
    . Rocker Cover gaskets and fiber seals (around bolts)
    . Pushrod guide gaskets.
    . Any other Gaskets you think I'll need.
    . (do they have a full top end gaskets set/kit?)

Plug get NGK DCPR9EIX

just had the same happen with mine. the same bolt has sheared.how had/ easy is it to turn the engine to get the head of? any no any 'threads'i can follow with this please?

I have to do this job. What's the consensus as to what is the best way to remove the broken header stud? I can see that EZ out is clearly a no.

The Jims tool. By far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast