Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buell Xb12r DIY oil change

As long as it's a quality, motorcycle-specific Full-synthetic oil - there's not stand-out winner, just opinions. I'd use Mobil 1, Valvoline, or any other oil in a pinch, assuming they met the above. Same for oil filters.

I use Royal purple because my buddy drags on weekends. 90% there are Amsoil or RP and both have a great rep. I use a Purolator oil filter for the good rep. also. It's all fairly expensive, but I'm not skimping on an Air-cooled V-twin.

There are only 3 filters that have the correct 20 micron elements inside them. Wix # 51394, Napa # 1394, and the factory Buell filter. To low of a micron rating and it doesn't trap the contaminants. To high of a rating and it restricts oil flow.

I use Wix...

Puralator PureOne Oil Filter..... this thing says 99.9% efficiency at a 20 micron rating. Or am I reading it wrong.

Dont get the K and N filter. It has a bolt on the bottom of it which is a bitch to slide in. makes you have to take the rail off instead of just the fairing. You cant use it either so its pointless.

Hey spor, I've got the same bike (white, how bout you?)and got nailed for the same amount for the first service. Believe me, I'm not happy about spending half a weeks pay to do it but for warranty purposes I bit the bullet. I've been told if you're gonna do your own oil changes you have to use H-D oil, again, for warranty bull****. Wayne

Yup, white and hero blue, I love it. I just put a special ops exhaust, air box delete, crank case breather reroute, and an EBR race ecm on it, after some new plugs it runs like a top and sounds mean.

Mobil1 Fully Synthetic is awesome. And I'm using the ACDelco oil filter.

The biggest pain in this job is wrapping the muffler in aluminum foil, and even that is easy.

LuCas 20w50 it smoothed the dog **** out of my shifts. Bike loved it and is thanking me for treating her right.

I usally run the Napa 1394 filter which they keep in stock. Its all black and the NAPA sticker peels off easy to keep it plain. I then run over to Autozone and run the Mobil1 V-twin full synthetic. In my area on the Autozone hub store stocks it. It is usually hanging in a basket on the oil rack. To drain the oil I have a slim pan the I hold over the muffler to catch the oil. Otherwise it drips on the muffler and ou have to wipe it off. No big deal.

Oil changes are easy on the bike. Just make sure you have a T27 socket to take the front fairing off to access the filter.

I'm having a hell of a time getting that chin fairing off to get to the oil filter. But the oil change wasn't a problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast