Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: click, click, click

riding along the other day, and the engine warning light comes on. pull over, and switch the bike off. leave it for 5mins, switch the ignition back on, and no light - GREAT :) but now when i try to start it, i get a loud clicking, and the dials sweep left to right and back again, as per the startup routine, the clock and trip info reset, and the bike wont start. the recovery dude jump starts me, and says the alternator is knackered. is there a way i can verify this, and rule out and shorts or cabling issues?

Sounds like a dead battery... I would also guess that the charging system is gone.

Do all the free/cheap/easy stuff first (as you say, the shorts and cabling issues):
    Check trouble codes w/ or w/o ECMSpy. Check your battery lead connections and all your ground connections. Check fuses and relays. How old is the bike? How old is the battery?

Service manuals are really good with diagnostic troubleshooting procedures. Download from this site if you don't have one already. May not be the exact model, but probably close enough.

Do you have an Scg?

My continuing problem is the positive battery cable. The cable actually consists of two wires, one big one that comes from the engine, and a much smaller one that runs all the electronics. Apparently the smaller cable rubs on my seat (since its lower) and breaks off.

Go check that wire because Buell never heard of such a problem except its happened three times to me in one years time.

This same thing happened to my '03 XB9R, I was riding home from work one night and my engine light came on, so I pulled over, turned the bike off, and then tried to re-start it... No luck. I had to push start it down a hill but that only lasted until the next signal when I came to a stop and it died on me. I checked everything out, but it was the stator in the end that was the problem.

but it was the stator in the end that was the problem

the garage have advised that they think its the voltage regulator that sits between the alernator and the battery thats faulty. apparently they either start giving too much charge and blow the fuses and headlights, or too little. apparently the latter with mine. that said, the regulator seems to be cheaper than a replacement alternator, and far easier to get to to swap. will keep you posted if this solves it. have been thinking of buying the ecmspy software and lead and using that. can you use this to interrogate the error codes? other sites suggest you can use the taco display to view the error codes? does ecmspy offer much more functionality?

i have this very same issue.

yesterday i was riding home from work when engine light came on, i kept riding as i was in a dangerous part of the motorway, as i was riding the power cut out, rev counter and speedo went to zero and counters reset.

coasted to the side of the motorway and turned key to off possition, waited for 5 - 10 mins and turned back on and tried to start the bike, sounded like it was trying to turn over but then started clicking.

i put my battery on the charger last night for the recommended 1 hour 40 minutes, charging 12Volts at 6amps.

after that bike started fine. ran fine but headlight slowly drained the battery and then the engine light came on again and then bike lost power and turned off.

from reading the above posts it could be either the stator, alternator or regulator.

all 3 are damn expensive...

i think i have this same issue again on my 1999 Suzuki DR350SX (second time in the last year, replaced CDI, Stator and Regulator).

it might be too much moisture... here in Wellington, New Zealand it rains a lot and last time it rained real hard i had a ignition problem when every time i stopped at the lights and pulled the clutch in it sounded like my ignition switch was being pressed and made that cranking sound like a car does when it running and you turn the key on again cause you forgot you already turned it on...

no idea what caused that but hasn't happened since..

I highly recommended installing a volt gauge they are cheap easy to install and will give you an advance warning before ur stranded

And where would you hook up the voltage meter to? Directly to the battery or what? Just wondering, not to good at this electrical stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast