Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had some close calls or collisions.

i was riding passnger in a p/u down an interstate, kinda busy, along comes this gxxxr with a little piece a a** on the back. The guy had helmet; pants; boots; gloves right. The chick had tank-top; tight-a** shorts (:D) & sunglasses. go figure. Anyway, he's right in front of us, were doin about 50-60, all of the sudden, he leans up/swerves left & barely misses a box of wtf (whatever the f***), in the middle of the lane. Seems like wherever u r, theres something waiting 4 the 2-wheeler,,,

A little less than a year ago, I had an accident on my XB12R. Was on a nice curvy road, following a guy on a BMW tourer. We started going through a blind left turn, and all of the sudden a guy on a cruiser appeared coming from the other direction with his rear tire locked up. I got on the front brakes so hard that the rear tire lifted off the ground. I somehow managed to make it past the guy on the cruiser as he finally fell over, but when I sat the back end back down, it was no longer aligned with the front tire. I then went into a miniature slow speed tankslapper, and ended with a nice slam to the ground on the right side, and about a 30 foot slide. Was able to ride the bike 40 some odd miles back home. I only had a slightly bruised knee and hip.

Just last month, I had another accident on the firebolt, this time being my fault. Same road as the previous accident, I was out playing, and pushing the bike a bit hard. I was going through the same couple of corners over and over again, letting my G/F get some pictures of me. As I made one pass through a blind left hander, I remember getting my knee down, seeing the exit of the corner, seeing it covered in gravel that hadn't been there 2 minutes before, and panicing. My brain instantly thought "oh crap, too much lean angle to make it through the gravel at the exit, straighten bike up some". Well I straightened up the bike too soon for the corner exit, ran outta road, then saw lots of sky, ground, sky, ground scenery. This accident totaled out the bike, and left me with a sprained ankle and thumb.

In all of my accidents, I was geared up, accept for pants on the first one.

They don't see you , even if you made eye contact. They didn't. They have some glazed look in their eyes and are thinking about putting some more fuel in their ****box car. In fact, they might just pull out in front of you on purpose, 'cause their safe feeling in that metal box.

You need to be an ATGATT rider, all the gear all the time, training and track time. Track time really improved my riding skills, besides where else can you drag your knee at 90mph withour worrying about a cop or a minivan coming at you in your lane.

Situational awareness will save your life...unless your also incredibly stupid.:)

Sometimes, you can reduce the probability or magnitude with experience and training. Been riding since 1975 and I'm starting to lose count of my street get offs; I stopped riding for 10 years after the last (1996). Some were fairly entertaining and spectacular, but I haven't been scratched, yet. All were between 30-60mph at contact.

Track riding is good for learning the edge, but I believe dirt riding is better - you push the bike's dynamics around more and crashing is pretty much part of the game; experience with merit.

E.g. I pulled out of an city alley on a rainy fall day during college in front of a very unexpectedly fast-moving Mercury Montego. Whacked the throttle open and Jay Springsteen would have been proud of the way that KZ650 powerslid across and up the road, the Mercury's hood ornament within easy reach.

I'd be dead (as would my buddy, who was passenger) if I hadn't figured out how to powerslide that pig around. It was a handy thing to know at that particular moment.

I'm not saying you must have dirt experience to ride on the street, but it can be very useful.

There is a randomness with road riding 'events' that has always bugged me, though. I don't believe that Valentino Rossi's odds on the road are much better than mine. Not because I'm a great rider, but events occur that simply defy prediction or countermeasure. IMO, dirt or road tracks are much safer - most of the freaky randomness is removed.

E.g, going to work, down main street of our small town doing under 30 last summer a drunk bluehair flew across an intersection about 50 feet in front of me and parked her bucking Camry inside the jewelry store. (They announced a drive-thru sale the next day). She was doing about 50mph when she crossed main street, airborne ("gas pedal was stuck") crossing my path.

I was glad that I had another sip of coffee that morning.

Wear a Roadcrafter now, simply because it's the fastest full protection to get on and off and covers the most weather conditions. Maybe it will help, but I have no illusions.

Damn, I do love motorcycles.

- Charlie

I was riding my Triumph Thruxton 900 to a MSF class in Visalia California (I teach MC safety) and I was on a long straight at about 0545 am then a red Ford Tempo passed an 18 wheeler (two lane black top) and forced me on the shoulder. I used that experience with my class for "swerving to avoid and object".

Umm I dunno if u want stories or advice....

Watch people front tires

Stay out of blind spots

Keep the road clear infront

Best advice is drive like everyone is trying to hit you. Also stay out of peoples blind spots.

I juat had a accident about a month ago. I had a little kid on a ATV ride out into the road without looking and ran right into the side of me. Bike highsided and threw me. Broke my leg and shoulder. Sometimes doing everything right still won't save you. Bikes are dangerous and you just have to accept that sometime you will get in an accident.

5 weeks ago:

Decided to stay in town at a friends place b/c we'd been drinking and the idea of riding all the way out to the house was not a good one and I knew it.

So, we decided we'd best play it safe and head to his apartment.

Getting on the freeway, he clipped the curb in front of me. We were in a turn and I grabbed a handful of brake which made my bike stand right up and I ran right over him. We were both on the gas at that very moment. I should have left a lot more room between us.

It all happened so fast. As I stood up and dusted myself off, a man approached me asking me if I was alright and telling me the cops were on the way. He'd called them. I said, "WHO THE F*CK TOLD YOU TO DO THAT?!?" Looked over to see my buddy getting back on his bike and trying to fire it. I did the same and got the hell out of dodge. Don't need a DUI or DWI!

Tore the left side clean off my bike. Broke my thumb, tore up my knee, twisted the crap out of my ankle. All in all, I consider myself lucky. I was wearing a helmet, gloves and jacket with armor.

The bikes back up and running. I have a couple more cosmetic fixes that need to be completed, and just ordered the parts. My thumb is screwed. My ankles mostly better and my knee's pretty much healed. My dumb-ass friend is okay too. He just wrote the check for his parts this past week.

Did you learn anything from this?? I did...

Special K!
    Central Texas Hill Country HellBuellies
    "I'm a HellBuelly! What the hell are you?"

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting 'GERONIMO!'"

--Anonymous HellBuelly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast