Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fork Oil Change... How To??

After a particularly hard weekend of riding, I awoke Monday AM to discover a pool of fork oil at my front tire. The volume and oil on both fork tubes indicated it would not be an easy fix by swiping plastic under the seals to remove offending debris. So, I decided to do complete rebuilt. I ordered a seal seating tool from MotorcycleSuperstore and a real nice fit from Traxxion to help me hold the inner tube down to access 17mm nut. I have changed oil, tranny fluid and headers, plus have done minor electrical work like adding LED driving lights and a battery tender. This was my first fork seal rebuild. Assemble right tools: 32MM deep socket wrench; kit from Traxxion; and, of course, new seals. I bought All Balls Seal and Dust Cover kit.
    Preparation and watching a view You Tube videos on Showa forks helped me mentally. I started at 1700 tonight and finished at 2230. A little longer than I thought; but, not bad for first time. I am glad I did it because I know it was done right and I wasn't ripped off for $200 or more. I chose Motul 7.5 light/middle weight synthetic fork oil. I am taking another MSF ARC course on Saturday, so I will get a good feel if the job is OK.
    Also, before starting, I noted my settings and then back them all the way off (counterclockwise).
    And, a clean work area with lots of paper towels and oil receptacle is a must.
    This is a very doable job; so do not be intimidated. Email if any questions.

Turn your motorcycle upside down to drain oil, that way you dont have to remove forks! :D

Quote Originally Posted by user_deleted View Post
    being showa forks they are serviced just like they would be from any Jap or Italian brand machine. and the drive belt is a cinch to change on XB's with the redesigned rear axle, simplicity in removing rear wheel, and the bridged swingarm. very simple job now. belts a bit pricey but simple repair.
    You say change or add fluid just like Japanese bikes?? Well say I never had one of those I changed front for fluid on. Say I have a 06 Buell Ulysses. Is the setup screw on the bottom of the fork gonna act like a drain plug?? I had a seal leak and lost some fluid. How much ?? Not sure but if I can simply drain the fluid out the adjustment screw out the bottom of both fork sides and and replace it that sounds great. Just looking for some info. Can you just hold the bike up and undo the large nut ontop of the fork to add fluid? Appreciate good information thanks

Not a drain plug, and not the way it should be done anyway.
    Its 15 years old. If the forks are leaking I would replace the seals at a bare minimum, and then put in new fluid.

Any decent motorcycle shop can re-build them as Showa upside down forks are very common and not brand specific. If you don't want a pro to do it. Here is the complete procedure step-by-step, with pictures, as written by the people who engineered the motorcycle.
    https://www.buellmods.com

Quote Originally Posted by 83/wuly View Post
    You say change or add fluid just like Japanese bikes?? Well say I never had one of those I changed front for fluid on. Say I have a 06 Buell Ulysses. Is the setup screw on the bottom of the fork gonna act like a drain plug?? I had a seal leak and lost some fluid. How much ?? Not sure but if I can simply drain the fluid out the adjustment screw out the bottom of both fork sides and and replace it that sounds great. Just looking for some info. Can you just hold the bike up and undo the large nut ontop of the fork to add fluid? Appreciate good information thanks
    Yup, sound like you have it all under control. Just loosen up that thar big ole nut and hold the bike steady. You got this.

Wow, he's doing it the correct way but no eye protection ???????? Not good.

^he's on the ground side so that won't hurt him. He really needs 2 knives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12