Thread: New Firmware upgrade - finally!

My 2008 XBScg finally received the firmware upgrade after nearly a month in the shop. After hearing wonderful things about the fan management for the 08 Xb bikes, I decided to take mine in for the upgrade. I was told by the dealer I will be charged $40 in spite of the bike being in the warranty period. On a Saturday morning, I rode in to the dealer and was surprised there were 4 other HD guys waiting ahead of me. The service tech promised me to get me out of there, even if it means the service writer himself have to do the firmware upgrade. About an hour later, I was informed the routine firmware upgrade was not successful, since they did not realize my bike was a California model, because the tell-tale charcoal cannister had been removed. They told me to find myself a ride home and they needed to order a brand new ECM from the factory. Two weeks go by, and no word from the dealer and my call to them was returned with the part still on order response. Discouraged, I called Buell customer service. A very pleasant lady took my call and after my long winded explanation, called the dealer and made sure the part was on its way to the dealer. It was another two weeks before the dealer called me to let me know the bike was fixed. Heavy unseasonal rains here, forced me to postpone picking up the bike for another week.
    In the end, I picked up the bike after letting go $100 for the firmware upgrade and two new spark plugs. They returned the brand new NGK Iridiums back me stating the new ECM just did not like the NGK plugs. They had charged me one hour labor and the rest parts.
    The ride home from the dealer was crappy, with the engine sneezing and coughing. Red light stops were a pain thinking the bike will stall anytime. A small stretch of closed loop riding seem to cure some of the issues. The new fan program is brilliant, do not know why it took Buell so long to address this.
    Once home, I promptly connected to ECMSpy to discover, all kinds of changes in the fuel maps. Surprised to see the active muffler valve is turned off. I am still exploring the changes in the new firmware.
    I also obtained the right side air scoop and have it installed. It took less that 10 minutes.

What plugs would they recommend? Lemme know what kind of changes in torque you feel? I have an 08S and want to get her running optimally.

what does the new fan program do exactly? I am of the belief that it basically makes the fan run consistently.

Here are some of the items I have discovered since I picked up my bike. The new firmware ID is BUELD130 06/05/09

1. Fan comes on as soon as you hit 15mph approx. and turns off when you come to a stop.
    2. No fan when you turn the bike off after a ride, as against it running loudly for 10 minutes. I suspect the fan comes on an off while riding. I ride with ear-plugs, therefore I only notice when I feel hot air at the seat.
    3. The tech recommended standard HD/Buell spark plugs as against NGK Iridiums. This is something I find hard to believe.
    4. Bike appears to run cooler. I am not sure of this as I also added the new right side air-scoop.
    5. ECMspy is practically useless. I was able to read the EEPROM, but all data appears to be corrupted. None of the values in the fuel table appear correctly. I am sure you can run the diagnostic tests, and few other things.
    6. Bike is running rich. AFV correction at 90% It was the same in my original ECM.

I did not detect any change in performance. The irritating stuble at low speed is still there, but reduced after full warm up. ECM is still adapting, so I am hoping it will smooth out.

Just some additional info to ad about the new fan program.

As Sharur states, it turns on to a high setting above 15 mph (roughly. I never checked the speed to be honest) but when you slow down, the fan switches to a lower setting. It will still be running, but it's much quieter than it is at high speeds. And then when you stop, it shuts off completely.

Additionally, as Sharur said it usually shuts off when you shut down the bike, however on really hot days in stop and go traffic, I have still had it run for a minute after shutdown. Don't know for how long. I usually walk away after I turn off the bike.

I do not yet have a RSS, so I can tell you for sure that the new fan program definitely helps the bike run cooler. I give it two !