Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Brembo Rear Master Cylinder

Well like the tile says I just finished installing a Brembo rear master cylinder off of a 2004 Aprilia Tuono. As some of you may know I did the DIY Brembo hidden rear caliper mod last Monday and was not satisfied with the performance gains, so I decided to add a larger master cylinder to really give the Brembo caliper some driving force.

Ok, so like I said I started with a Brembo MC off of a 2004 Aprilia Tuono.

I had to manufacture a plunger for the MC because the Brembo MC has a tapered plunger so you are not able to use the OEM plunger from the Buell. So I went to the heard wear store and bought a bolt the same size as the OEM Buell plunger and got to work.

OEM plunger left, soon to be plunger right

Finished product

Plunger with Buell OEM hard wear installed

I had to taper the plunger to prevent it from contacting the inside of the cylinder due to a pitch difference you encounter when mounting the Brembo master cylinder.

Pitch difference/ deviation between the MC and the lever.

The deviation is caused because the mounts for the Brembo MC are not threaded like the OEM mounts were so you have to affix the MC to the rear set via locking nuts so you are unable to gain proper alignment. This is not really an issue if you taper the plunger like I did because adequate articulation at the piston is gained because of the tapering.

So once you get the plunger figured out it is pretty strait forward, you just install it and then bleed your brakes.

Well here is the finished product.

Ho, and as for performance all I can say is wow!!!
    It actually feels like a brake and not like a peace of wood now, and I no longer have to apply massive amounts of force to the rear lever to get it to work.

So if you plan on doing the Brembo hidden rear caliper mod and would like to add performance as well as looks than I recommend incorporating a brembo MC to the mix.

I think you should sell a kit!

I think you should sell a kit!
    mehhh, nothing was done that would require any real skill so for now I will just tell you how to do it. Besides, you get a more satisfying feeling when you finish if you did it all by yourself.

Hey Stevenc150, you should add this to your 120 + helpful threads, thread :D

Great write up Nitto12ss,

Couldn't you have waited 'til I finished my hidden caliper mod cause now I wanna jump on this project right now. haha

QUESTION!! So with the offset does the plunger rub in the cylinder at all?

QUESTION!! So with the offset does the plunger rub in the cylinder at all?
    It will if you do not taper the plunger like I did. It actually rubs the cert clip, but this is a custom job so it will require custom parts. Do yourself a favor if you decide to tackle this project and take the rear set off and and attach the new MC to it. Then when you are fabricating the plunger it is easy to install and take back out when testing for fitment. The whole thing took me about 2 and 1/2 hours to do from start to finish and that includes the trip to the hard wear store.

Do yourself a favor if you decide to tackle this project and take the rear set off and and attach the new MC to it.
    Good thinking. I'm strongly considering doing this mod!

Price estimate?

The total for me was > $40

$34 shipped for the MC and about $5 for the nuts and bolts.

Not bad! I'm looking into it now.

Not bad! I'm looking into it now.
    If you have not started yet with the rear caliper I would wait and do it all at once. Also be sure to wipe off all brake fluid as soon as possible when it gets on your bike(and it will)as it is a very corrosive material and will eat at your paint/powder coat if left on for extended periods of time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast