Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats that knocking sound?

Can't say i have paid attention to this before but recently on starting up i can hear a knocking sound during the warm up.
    Is this normal?
    It seems to go away once the bike has warmed up.
    Any clue anyone????

check your oil

I've recently noticed this "knocking" noise too. I thought I was just hearing things. Do you notice that the knocking only happens in neutral?

Not enough oil? I have about 2700mi on my bike (changed oil at 1000mi) I put in what the dealership supplied me with for the 1000mi service.

These bikes have loud clunky motors. They make all kinds of noises. I was paranoid when I first got the bike. I took it in several times asking about noises, but they kept saying it's normal. Tattoo72 got tired of a noise he was hearing so he opened up his case and found a spot that wasn't debured in the factory.

Bloody hell, thats WAAAAY too advanced for me to go investigating.
    I decided to check the oil and its where its supposed to be and i pulled the airbox cover off to clean the filter and ran the bike and found i could hear the noise near the top of the engine.
    Like i said it goes once the bike is warmed up, and i'm guessing thats a Harley engine for you.
    I need to go to school for this stuff.... hell, just taking the airbox off and the fly screen gives me butterflies and i want to sort this map stuff out as well so i won't be sleeping much once that gets started.
    Thanks for your input lads, always appreciated.

My noise was coming mostly from behind the timing cover and the oil pump. It did travel up the pushrods and make the top end a little noisey. Here is a link to what I found. http://www.buelletinboard.com/forums...ad.php?t=11420

Good to hear! Back to riding without the worry.

Ain't these bikes great!Check that oil.It is the lifeblood of the air cooled motor!

the sounds are normal, just check your oil regularly and do a proper warm up and you'll be fine. you just dont want to put it in gear and ride before a proper warm let the engine lube itself first. welcome to the world of Harley.

not sure if it's the same kind of 'knock' but... have you ever had the crank nut retorqued to the newer spec?

i don't have the tech bulletin handy and i'm not sure what year your bikes are but my '05 crank nut came loose and caused an awful knocking sound at idle. after my local shop retorqued the nut to the new spec (with Loctite) the knock was cured for good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast