Thread: This ECMSPY stuff

Hi all.
    For those in the know i was wondering if i have to take in to acount the altitude i ride at constantly (2000' to 3000') on a daily basis and change in temps in a dramatic way throughout the year. We have just gone from 4 months of 100+ now down to 80s and dropping.
    I have had a couple of maps done in the past from Xopti and i read Gatorbuells write up and i get the jist of it but its still a little confusing.
    The map i am running now feels good but i wanted to know how much of a fine tune i can do with said altitudes and temps and is it worth it.
    I drilled some holes in my inner airbox in the past but thinking of drilling more so will effect my present map or just running in open loop would fix that?
    Any help or info would be great.
    Justin

Thats the job of the AFV it adjust the map to compensate for changes in the environment and altitude. You could log a ride and see where the AFV sets it self to. If its a big swing like 10 12 points you might want to tune but if its +/- 5 your fine. You can just plug into the bike and see where the AFV is.

Bloody hell, quick reply, thanks alot mate.
    I was in to this about 6 months ago when i was talking to Mike at XOPTI but i ended up bombarding him with questions and i think it got a bit much so i left things where they are now but i want this bike to get the best performance i can out of it.
    Not looking to wheelie or do tricks or go from 0-60 in a blink.... just want to twist the throttle and say YEAH
    Once taht is done some cosmetics and i'm set.
    But i would really like to know how to tune this bike and help other out.
    Cheers mate.
    Justin

What mods do you have. Does the bike just not have any umph. Does it lack mid or top end.

Mods are drummer, k&N, drilled airbox, ngk iridium 9 plugs, re-mapped by xopti, re-route breather line.
    Like i said i not looking to pull wheelies but unless i seriously drop the clutch the wheel stays down. It is quick off the start and once it is warm runs like a dream.
    To be honest i don't know what i want apart from the max i can get out of this bike with out blowing it up.
    I think its where it should be. I would like a quicker shot off the start but i think thats a gearing change unless i go JAPROCKET and thats not even a thought as of now.
    Like to understand the basics of ecmspy and what i could do to the bike, but mechanics is a new thing for me so i just go lightly.
    Thanks for your responses.
    Justin

Gatorbuell.

If at all possible could i PM/e-mail you with some questions???
    I'm guessing by what just happened that if the battery is low SPY disconnects but not sure why the bike battery died as i ran it at 3500 rpm for 30 mins and the charge was low.
    Anyway, thanks for what help you have given so far.

the battery could just be bad and not taking the full charge.

have you done any logging or anything?

The battery is kinda new, about a yearish.
    Did some logging a while back when i was talking to XOPTI..... not done any recently.
    I have over half a dozen different maps but wanted to do one myself. Load and saved my eeprom and maps tonight.
    I have read the link to gatorbuells info but still have questions to help me understand what i am actually doing and what megalog does.

Gatorbuell@gmail.com, Gbalias knows more than I do, hell most of what I know came from some of his posts.

Were you switching back and forth between pages, in spy when you dropped connection. if you go into maps and eeprom pages it will lose real time data connection to the bike.

You may have a lose ground causing the charging issue and drop connection. I would start by checking the grounds making sure they are clean and tight. sometimes if they are lose they will build up corrosion and you will loose ground. Then do a load test on the battery. It may show you have juice but drops under load.

Thanks a lot mate.
    Put the charger on last night as it showed 11.8 volts on the meter.
    Kinda weird as i had just riden for 30 mins in closed loop and i had only plugged it on the computer for 2 mins.
    I tried pulling the light fuse but the light doesn't go out.
    I'll be e-mailing you next couple days between shifts.
    Again, thanks alot.