Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cruising rpms?

so i was just wondering. i ride with a bunch of sportbikes like gsxr 1000s and cbrs and crap and they all fly on the interstate and i love riding with them but im nearly at 5k rpms in fifth keeping up with them. is it bad to cruise at 5k on a xb12s for a long time? and how much difference in top speed does a big bore kit make/? not a huge kit just like a 88ci or whatever the 1400 or 1450cc is.

thanks

porcelainrabbit

top speed gains will be almost none...you will get there alot faster, though.

this will enable you however to change your gear or sprocket ratio, giving you lower rpm's with the same pull

thanks alot lefox! once again its an honor that you reply to my post :) but what about cruising at 5k on a stock xb12s? is that bad on the bike?

bump. anyone?

Super Moderator
    Not bad. ****ty fuel economy and that's about it.

Yeah I have the same problem... at first I was a little uneasy about it... but after a few highway runs I started to be a little more comfortable with it. You have to figure when we're at near Redline they are at a mid to high range. I'm sure its not a bad thing as these motors are very strong and can take a fantastic beating... (verified by yours truly) but I still try take it easy on her when it comes to constant high RPM. Last thing I want to do is start pushing it out of its designed limits.

Just curious - what kind of interstates can you ride where you can get up to 5k in 5th and not be molested by the po-po? I can exceed the speed limit at 3500 in 5th... not that I would ever do that!:D

Just curious - what kind of interstates can you ride where you can get up to 5k in 5th and not be molested by the po-po?Â* I can exceed the speed limit at 3500 in 5th... not that I would ever do that!
    California :D hahah

Yeah, there are limits up to 80mph. thats getting up there in the rpm. not quite 5, but 80 is that limit...that means you are doing 95. thats where you find you 5k+.

fear not,the final drive on the multi cyls your rideing with are spining in the sevens and eights when you are at five.your redline is closer,due to the under square design of your motor.just because your closer to your redline doesnt mean your at a big disatvantage.the aditional hp made by the multy cyl bikes is made possible by there over square design.the trade off is torque at a given rpm.The lightning and balancing of the buell crank favors the upper half of its rpm range .I should know ,my very built sportster has been 136 at 6000,and the vibration breaks my headlamp.my 08 scg is smoother at 6000 than at idle.gearing changes are not as easy on the buell as the taller and closer first 4 gears are already set up to take advantage of its light weight and high torque.1rst gear on the buell is almost as tall as second on the sportster.geting a friendly crusing rpm at 5th could make sliping your clutch nesicary in 1rst.I exausted my mad scientist needs on the sportster mostly to appreciate that its all been worked out for me already on the buell.So I say enjoy that buell as its ready already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast