Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Braking

Has anyone had much success improving their rear brakes over Buell OEM? I realize there is only so much you can expect on a motorcycle without locking them up but I currently get better rear braking on my mountain bikes.

Do a search on the brembo rear caliper mod. It swaps a 2 piston caliper out and also get hidden in the swing arm. Dark horse and ASB sell the bracket. You can buy the calipers on ebay.
    A few other guys like NittoSs have also done a rear master cylinder swap.

That's good news to me. Thanks for the info.

You are right about only expecting so much tho. You may be able to improve the system to work harder when pressing lighter, or wear out more slowly, but in the end you will get just as much affect as if you were to push a little harder with the stocks. It all comes down to tires. Again wear can be improved, but the friction with the tire and road is the only thing that ups max breaking. Your maintain bike weighs less, thats why it has better breaking.

Below are the links to the rear caliper swap and the MC swap. This setup will improve the responsiveness of the brakes and provide better modulation, but like you and others have said it all comes down to where the rubber meets the road. The cheapest way to improve the rear brake would be to upgrade the MC only IMO.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...embo-brake-mod

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...linder#bbcodes

metric rear brakes are the same way...there that way for a reason..if your rear worked as well as the front chances are you would be hitting the road more often the not

My 12r has a rear brake I never knew that =P

hahaha yes sir it does. you activate it by rolling your right ankle down so that your foot pushes that cute little lever. Actually, you can get better traction on the front wheel for better cornering if you feather the rear brake properly. However, BE CAREFUL when trying this! It is a touchy racers trick that can easily leaver you washed out if you are even a tiny bit over zealous.

Actually, you can get better traction on the front wheel for better cornering if you feather the rear brake properly. However, BE CAREFUL when trying this! It is a touchy racers trick that can easily leaver you washed out if you are even a tiny bit over zealous.
    Yeah an inexpierenced rider trying this will be "driftingswiftly" alright

hehe I use it occasionally to tighten my turn if I need to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast